[ solved ] Encountering some trouble installing linux on ASUS FX505DY

dolphinjones

Reaction score
Credits
---------------------------------------------

Solution:

This laptop shipped with a version that had a wd black ssd which encounters errors with linux
booting with nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500 fixed the issue
thanks guys

---------------------------------------------

Hey there,

I've been trying to replace windows on my laptop, but have hit a bit of a wall. Whenever I try booting a live version through a USB image, or installing to a partitioned drive, the install winds up freezing either during the boot logo, or while some initial command line stuff is going on (mx allows me to live boot, but freezes upon installation and sometimes in the live boot desktop). Wondering if anyone might have an idea for how to proceed, ideally with pop but at this point I'll take what I can get, thanks in advance!

Steps I've tried:
multiple distros ubuntu-popos-elementary-mint-zorin-zorinlite-kubuntu-endeavour-opensuse-mxlinux-mxahs-manjaro
a few different flash drives
rufus, etcher and ventoy
safe graphics / compatibility mode
legacy mode on and off
bios settings right now are: safeboot off, AHCI? on, fastboot off, legacy mode off
tried booting with these parameters individually: noapic -- acpi=off -- nomodeset -- nouveau.modeset=0 -- nouveau.noaccel=1 -- amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1

Laptop specs are:

ASUS FX505DY
Windows 10 Home
256 GB SSD
8 GB DDR4 RAM
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
GPU: RX560X
Unsure of the motherboard name, but current BIOS is version 315

Here are the error messages I've received from the various distros:

Last edited:

Hmm... That nixes that idea... Did you verify the download's integrity? Unless I'm missing something, your settings sound okay to me. I'm not sure why the installer stops there.

But, you've tried multiple distros - so it's unlikely that they all had a faulty download. That'd be very, very statistically unlikely. Maybe someone else has an idea?

Almost all the error I see here are acpi related. Any chance you can disable that in your BIOS? (UEFI)

And disable windows quick-start

So I've explored the BIOS menu pretty thoroughly and I can't seem to find a way to disable ACPI, unless I'm missing something. I will quadruple check again just in case though. The only place in the BIOS menu that I see any sort of UEFI setting is enabling UEFI Network Stack, but I'm guessing that's not what I'm looking for. Did have some success, MX wound up working the best yet (although ahs froze in the boot menu as well). I made it into the live boot desktop, which worked for 5 or so minutes, then froze. I also tried Manjaro, Endeavour and OpenSUSE to no avail (similar ACPI BIOS bug errors). Also double checked quick start, and I disabled that a while back, but appreciate the idea. Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Last edited:
Make sure secure boot is disabled- And.....
Maybe try another usb flash drive and see if that helps.

You can also try adding 'noapic' as a boot parameter. How to do so will vary based on the distro, but you normally need to access the grub menu and then advanced options and append it after quiet_splash. You can get the precise method from your favorite search engine.

This is a long shot....but is there any chance that your logs are filling up quickly enough to cause that freeze ?

In linux, open Home/File System/var/log

The two main culprits in there are usually .kern and syslog

Right click on them and select properties....that will show you how big or otherwise those logs are

After a fresh install recently the .kern log on my linux mint 21 was up to 150GB and climbing at a rapid rate....it would eventually have frozen due to running out of space..

As i said...it is a long shot

edit to add: So I would have enough time (before it really filled up...I simply right clicked on the .kern log and the syslog and deleted both files completely...it just gave me a bit of breathing space.

Ok so I just tried booting using noapic and wasn't able to get any new results. I also tried acpi=off which atleast got rid of the acpi error messages, but still led to freeze. also tried nomodeset and nouveau.modeset=0 as well as nouveau.noaccel=1 and amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1, all of which didn't work unfortunately. However some of them froze in the command line while other popped up the linux mint logo and froze there.

Condo, I'm currently running windows so I'm not sure how to check those logs, unless I'm misunderstanding. Or do you want me to try checking them quickly on MX as soon as it boots? (as its currently the only distro that I'm able to even reach the DE).

try checking on mx if that is what you have installed. My 'directions' are for Linux Mint, so the pathway to the logs may be somewhat different in mx

Also....when it boots, type Drivers into the menu and see what you get after it does its scan.

I am looking at the gpu....: RX560X

Hey so just gave it a go on MX and my log files seemed to be a normal size. It did stay unfrozen in the live environment for quite a while though. Then when I clicked the installer it froze after 20 or so seconds at the 'gathering info' phase. Will boot it up again and check the drivers now.

Alright, so for whatever reason I seem to be able to stay in the live version of MX as long as I need now as long as I don't run the installer. I don't know what happened to cause this, but I did disable cpu virtualization. When I put drivers into the menu, a tab popped up saying install proprietary nvidia driver from repo, which seemed weird given my amd card. But then it sparked a light bulb, there was a weird little twist I encountered with this laptop that I had almost forgotten about.

I purchased it back in 2018 I believe and ran it for a year or so with pretty much no issues. Then at some point I realized something was off, I had received it loaded with nvidia software and had been running it the whole time thinking nothing of it. This seemed like quite the mystery as I had clearly purchased a laptop with both an amd cpu and gpu. So I decided to reinstall windows and when I did a quick install from the local image it brought back the factory settings with nvidia drivers. So I did a clean install this time and put on the amd software, which recognized my RX560X and have been using it since. I have no clue what card the nvidia software was supposedly recognizing.

I don't know if any of this means anything, but it did seem quite peculiar, especially having MX recognize nvidia drivers. Also I know asus made a version of this laptop with an nvidia card as well, I don't know if in some bizarre way things got mixed up in production, but it also seems rather strange that I was able to use the laptop for a full year, gaming and whatever without issue while running nvidia software and an amd gpu.

just to clarify.....have you installed proprietary nvidia driver from repo,...?....now ?.......

If not, then install it while you are in the 'live' version ....and then run the Installer

Hope this makes sense

mx is quite advanced when it comes to drivers.......I dont know this for a fact, but it is what I have been told (by people who know their stuff)

worth a shot...cannot do any harm

Members online