[SOLVED] Can't get GeForce RTX 2060 to work on 3840x1600 display

lnxguy

Reaction score
Credits
5.0.3 kernel, xorg 1.20.4, nvidia 418.56 driver, LG 38UC99-W 38" IPS LED UltraWide HD FreeSync Monitor.

Ryzen 7 with 32GB system RAM.

X simply will not run. "No screens found" no matter how I try to configure X. Nvidia module will not compile. Doesn't run on Vesa, nv or nouveau...

I'll try running some live distros to see if it can be configured there and copy the .conf file. That's all I can think of...

LNXGUY

G'day @lnxguy :)

Is it PCLOS you are running, or other?

Wizard

You saw me over there, eh?

Yep :)

There are options available, even at bootup, which may help.

Remind me if there is Windows on this unit, and whether you have experienced seeing a Grub Menu at start, eg featuring PCLOS.

If so, you can choose an option, instead of booting into it, to establish a command line environment.

There, you can type in

Code:
videoinfo

... and it will list all the resolutions your system will support, likely with an asterisk against the one currently being used.

Wiz

Yep. GRUB2 with Win 10.

I am so tired of tweaking GRUB... IllI play with it tomorrow...

Been trying live DVD distros with no luck at all. They either won't boot or no X display..

This is usually where I give up and switch distros...

My Like there is sympathetic.

Even I can get like that and I am a Linux-aholic, run 90 of the suckers.

Wizard

Yep :)

There are options available, even at bootup, which may help.

There, you can type in

Code:
videoinfo

... and it will list all the resolutions your system will support, likely with an asterisk against the one currently being used.

Wiz

The max resolution it shows there is 2048x1536. Current res is set as 1024x768.

Still no luck getting X to work at all...

Are you familiar with the command

Code:
xrandr
?

With it, we could build a custom resolution that you could try, would only last for the session and need to be repeated, it could be inserted with the startup commands, and then if it works OK, we can lock it into a file that will start it at boot every time. Whether xrandr will handle up to 3840x1600 I do not know.

The "no X" has got me scratching my head.

Are you familiar with Wayland as an alternative to the X Server?

I am not well-versed in HDMI so I am flying by the seat of my pants here :)Regrets

Wizard

The reason I got this new GPU was because the old one only had HDMI and DVI outputs and the monitor requires a DisplayPort connection to work at better than 30hz.

The connection is now DP cable and it runs at full resolution at 75hz in Windoze...

I have had Wayland installed for years, but never played with it.

The machine is locking up when GDM tries to start. I can sometimes switch to another TTY and log in as root, but nothing I have tried will make X work.

I suppose I could replace the connection with the supplies HDMI cable or put the old card back in, but that would be total defeat and waste of time and money (as if it hasn't been already!)

I suppose I could replace the connection with the supplies HDMI cable
This test might be well worth trying. But you said your monitor requires the DisplayPort... right?

I am sorry, but your problem is way above my knowledge and skills. A little Googling gave me some thoughts to offer you, but they may be little or no help. I can only hope that something may nudge you in the right direction.

Two websites (here and here) indicate using your GPU successfully with Ubuntu 18.04 and Nvidia driver 415.27. Both articles are just a few months old. I know your driver also supports your GPU, but of course something is broken somewhere, and downgrading the driver might make a change. Or trying Ubuntu or other distro.The 415.27 driver is available here.

This reddit article describes one person's success in fixing a problem similar to yours, I think. He provides a complicated solution making a custom xorg.conf file, but another reader tipped him off that an internal monitor setting (MST=OFF) may be an easy fix.

Good luck!

Cheers

Things are getting worse..

I gave up and decided to install the shiny new SSD in one of my laptops instead of wasting all day with no results.

The spinny drive wouldn't copy due to a disk error, do I decided to slightly shrink one partition on the drive.

That process worked, but it changed the UUID for the partition and /var could not mount. I corrected the UUID in fstab, but by then all was lost...

Believe it or not, IT IS DOING THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING MY DESKTOP IS DOING!

X wont run and the dm hangs the system. Now I have two broken computers.

I need a vacation.

I want to put a LIke on that, but I don't want to offend or rub salt in the wound.

Did you run over a Chinaman in a past life?

I hope we can be of some assistance somehow.

Wizard

Sometimes a few good things emerge from tragedy...

My laptop drive still wont copy, but I figured out how to get X working!

No to see if it works on the subject PC...

Goodonyer !! :)

I'm about to sign off for my Aussie Wednesday evening, but when you are ready, share "The X Files" solution with us :D

Wizard

SOLVED!

I was able to escape into vt1 and log in as root and use the CVT command to get a Modeline that was supposed to work and manually typed it into the existing xorg.conf along with the Options to ignore the EDID modes:

Section "Monitor"
Modeline "3840x2160R" 533.00 3840 3888 3920 4000 2160 2163 2168 2222 +hsync -vsync
Option "UseEdid" "FALSE"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNonEdidModes"
EndSection

Nothing. Didn't work.

I decided to try to reinstall DKMS and the nvidia-current packages. apt-get would find the repository, but time out and error about the package not being available. I rebooted and kept banging away at it, using different VTs and it constantly timed out.

I ran apt-get install -f, --fix-broken, update, etc. and the download speed was only a few bits per second... Crap.

while looking away, it suddenly came back top life and downloaded the files, build the kernel module and finished the install!

I looked at the new xorg.conf and it had a million Modelines and FOR ONCE- it had screen setting in the screen section... Hmmmmm?

Upon reboot, it booted normally, GDM and KDE5 started normally, and it is now magically running at 3840x1600 at 75Hz!

Persistence has payed off, but it is now 6:30 in the morning and I have been up all night. Whatever.....

Oh, I got the laptop fixed, too. :):)

Members online

Latest posts