[Solved] Can I delete this Unknown file type partition, 1MB Size on my HDD?

Redsted

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I want to resize my root partition so that it would be a bit larger but this Unknown file type is in between the unallocated space and the root partition, I was wondering if i should delete it or does it play a part in booting? My grub is installed in another HDD where windows is present, That's the primary HDD where my BIOS boots into GRUB.
1624616190654.png

Last edited:

Welcome to Linux.org.
The partition in your screenshot is labeled as "diag". You can read this for more information:

Welcome to Linux.org.
The partition in your screenshot is labeled as "diag". You can read this for more information:

Thank You, So it's a risk if I do it, It's not consuming much but if it wasn't in the way b/w the free space and my partition, I wouldn't have cared. I guess I'll wait till later when breaking my OS won't cause too much trouble and I can install a fresh OS. Again, thank you for your help!

EDIT:
Something I forgot to mention is that the HDD where this partition is present, was before used for a windows system, I didn't 'cleanly' format the HDD, Is it possible that this partition is from that?

Last edited:
probably the key thing is your image shows its unused. you say Windows in on another HD so whats on /dev/sdb1 with a ntfs file system ?

you could dd /dev/sdb2 partition to an .img for back up ; also mount it to see whats on it but on first site nothing. if grub is on your other HD either via mbr or efi and successfully boots up /dev/sdb3 - is that the root partition you mention ? then deleting /dev/sdb2 shouldn't be a problem.

Whats your OS - i can't see it mentioned ; do you have timeshift installed for an easy roll back if needed?

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,

We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

probably the key thing is your image shows its unused. you say Windows in on another HD so whats on /dev/sdb1 with a ntfs file system ?

You could dd /dev/sdb2 partition to an .img for back up ; also mount it to see what's on it but on first site nothing. If grub is on your other HD either via mbr or efi and successfully boots up /dev/sdb3 - is that the root partition you mention ? Then deleting /dev/sdb2 shouldn't be a problem.

What's your OS - I can't see it mentioned ; do you have timeshift installed for an easy roll back if needed?

/dev/sdb1 used to be a Windows system i used to use, I needed the data so I kept the HDD but most Windows files have been removed, so it's unusable

yes /dev/sdb3 is the root partition, I am currently on Kali linux 9
1624624701635.png
I tried mounting it but it didn't work. I also tried Bootinfoscript and basically gave me nothing:
1624624381653.png

And I backed up the partition using dd, I didn't dd could do that, so that also helped!

I highly apologize for not giving this info beforehand.
here is a better info for my system:
1624624968674.png

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,

We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

Thank you for guiding me! I will make sure next time that my posts feature all my system specs, I do not know how to find model number but my system is a:
Gtx 750
20GB RAM
and Core i7 3rd Gen CPU

i recently used gParted to stretch an OS root partition into un-allocated and it went ok . "So i think you should be Ok said I , 'allegedly' " - in case things go wrong !

i recently used gParted to stretch an OS root partition into un-allocated and it went ok . "So i think you should be Ok said I , 'allegedly' " - in case things go wrong !
haha! I wouldn't have minded taking the risk if it weren't for my exams, As i don't have many files. But I really enjoy running linux as it's fast and tactile and do not want to switch back to windows for daily usage, And re installing kali could take variable time because my net speed can make a turtle laugh in disbelieve.

If you didn't create it than I'd leave it as it is.

I have 3 different unallocated (aka unknown) partitions.

If they weren't needed the installer wouldn't have created them imo.

I'm only a Linux user and not a Linux guru however if all is working well I'd leave it alone as 1MB ain't nothing.

1624628160136.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you didn't create it than I'd leave it as it is.

I have 3 different unallocated (aka unknown) partitions.

If they weren't needed the installer wouldn't have created them imo.

I'm only a Linux user and not a Linux guru however if all is working well I'd leave it alone as 1MB ain't nothing.

View attachment 9624
You are correct that if it isn't a problem, Don't fix it. But I do not want to worry about storage later on, I want to have enough storage that I won't need to worry about system slowing down and what not

I do not want to worry about storage later on, I want to have enough storage that I won't need to worry about system slowing down and what not
There's other ways of gaining hard drive space.

Move some of the saved stuff onto a flash drive to free up space.

Pictures / music files / files that aren't needed on a regular bases.

Look and see what software is installed and not being used or has been installed and is no longer needed.

Remove old restore points in Windows.

If running Timeshift remove all restore points but the latest one.

Restore points regardless of OS used will eat up space quickly unless maintained on a regular bases.

I can't see 1MB of gained hard drive space being that beneficial.

There's other ways of gaining hard drive space.

Move some of the saved stuff onto a flash drive to free up space.

Pictures / music files / files that aren't needed on a regular bases.

Look and see what software is installed and not being used or has been installed and is no longer needed.

Remove old restore points in Windows.

If running Timeshift remove all restore points but the latest one.

Restore points regardless of OS used will eat up space quickly unless maintained on a regular bases.

I can't see 1MB of gained hard drive space being that beneficial.
I don't want the 1MB of space. I want the 70GB of Space that lies before this magnificent unknown file type. And I'll try to remove useless stuff, Thanks

I don't believe Timeshift will backup hard drive partitions however I may be wrong about that.

Snapshot created from timeshift on laptop , which has Arch Vanilla. The screenshot is from using Timeshift Live Mint on a usb . As you can see restore will target root install and boot

Attachments

• Screenshot_Mint_Ulyssa.png
    Screenshot_Mint_Ulyssa.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 421
I don't use Timeshift.
I learned something I did not know.
@captain-sensible Thanks for the education. :)

I don't save anything of importance on any of my computers and therefore I've no need for Timeshift.

If I break my distro I just reinstall from scratch as it only takes 45 minutes to an hour from start to finish in my case.

its
I don't use Timeshift.
I learned something I did not know.
@captain-sensible Thanks for the education. :)

I don't save anything of importance on any of my computers and therefore I've no need for Timeshift.

If I break my distro I just reinstall from scratch as it only takes 45 minutes to an hour from start to finish in my case.
new to me too, since it is possible to install on Slackware, but not readily available in the offical Slackware repo sources , so i never used it until switching to Arch.

I don't want the 1MB of space. I want the 70GB of Space that lies before this magnificent unknown file type.
My mistake I failed to catch the Unknown file type is in between the unallocated space and the root partition part.

, I do not know how to find model number
terminal inxi -F [it is listed as host if non is shown then the motherboard make/model may help,]
anyway the boys seem to have got a handle on your problem so for now I will leave it to them.

Bwiz

Members online

Latest posts