Solved: Bluetooth Adapter Is Not Detected

bytestream

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I bought a bluetooth usb adapter (Miilink BT501) i tested it in windows so i know it works. When i boot in Linux Mint it is not detected. I go to the default bluetooth app, it looks like it turns on the bluetooth but it does not detect my adapter.

I run Linux Mint 20.1 x86_64, Kernel 5.4.0-72-generic, Blueman-manager version 2.1.2, Bluez* 5.53-0ubuntu3

When i run blueman-manager in command line i get this output:

blueman-manager version 2.1.2 starting
Failed to enable bluetooth
blueman-manager 21.24.36 ERROR Manager:118 on_dbus_name_appeared: Default adapter not found, trying first available.
blueman-manager 21.24.36 ERROR Manager:122 on_dbus_name_appeared: No adapter(s) found, exiting

I don't really understand how to configure bluetooth. Do i have to "connect" blueman to bluez?

Thanks for your time.

What's the Bluetooth information that is output from the command `lsusb`?

Here is what i get:
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bda:8771 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio

The output of uname -a:
Linux ernest 5.4.0-72-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 12 17:35:00 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I run kernel 5.4 so this is why it does not work? If so is there a safe way to run 5.8 or should i just wait? In the link you send there are some people in the comments saying that you can make it work with an older kernel should i try one of these methods?

This one looks like it might work:

You could use the firmware and follow some of the links in the comments. They're having success and the link gives directions for use.

You could also try using a newer kernel. (This includes using an OS with a newer kernel.)

Those are your two realistic options. For example, try booting into a live USB with Ubuntu 20.10 to see if it works out of the box. (That should have a 5.8 or higher kernel.)

Of course, you could buy different hardware, but your existing hardware can be made to work.

Update:
I followed the guide in the link i sent above. It still does not work. I read a bit more and i thought maybe secure boot has something to do with this, however my computer probably does not support secure boot (msi 970a-g43 plus). I will read more from linuxreviews and i will post if i make any progress.

Thank you.

Hi everyone, I'm having the same issues here.
@KGIII Would you have a link for ubuntu 20, too?

Fixed it, reinstalled the original drivers. But why did the drivers get lost in the first place?

Last edited:
Do you mean 20.04 or 20? There's an Ubuntu 20, but it's a Core version - meant for embedded systems. 20.04 is the version of Ubuntu for desktops/laptops or even a Pi if you've got one of those. Most folks want 20.04, regular Ubuntu, so I'll start by just linking that:

Actually, I'll also link Core, seeing as I'm right there on the download pages already:

Do you mean 20.04 or 20? There's an Ubuntu 20, but it's a Core version - meant for embedded systems. 20.04 is the version of Ubuntu for desktops/laptops or even a Pi if you've got one of those. Most folks want 20.04, regular Ubuntu, so I'll start by just linking that:

20.04, I'm just going with the mainstream bc I know not enough to go for untrodden paths ...
I also noticed that my communication was sloppy bc I did not refer to the Bluetooth adapter for archlinux that solved bytestream's issue - since I'm using Ubuntu I hoped you could point a similar adapter to me. However, doing another make install with the original drivers solved my problems already, so all is well. Thank you anyways!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts