[Solved] Audio's Not Working

NePoran

Reaction score
Credits
About two days I was folloowing Chris Titus Tech's videos on how to improve one's Linux gaming experience.

Iirc I got as faras installing the graphics drivers, when I woke up this morning I had two problems:
My audio didn't work.
The screen was set to 1080p (it's usually set to 1050p because 1080p makes the desktop bigger than the screen and I haven't bothered to figure out how to fix it).

Anyone know what's going on?

Which Linux distro and desktop environment are you using?

"Which Linux distro and desktop environment are you using?"

Ubuntu 20.04
Pretty sure it's GNOME.

"What's wrong with your thread here:"

It didn't fix the audio issue and when I mentioned the audio issue originally I don't believe it was really addressed.

So then you can continue with that thread without starting a new one. We try to keep things tidy around here.

Anyhow, we need more info to really help with the audio. Have you opened pavucontrol to take a look to see if things are as they should be? What kind of audio devices are we working with? On-board? Dedicated sound card? What's the output of:

Code:
lspci | grep Audio

Is Pulse Audio Volume Control installed ?

"So then you can continue with that thread without starting a new one."

I thought it would get abandoned (though come to think of it IIrc I never mentioned that the problem was fixed, so it doesn't make sens for me to assume anyone else thinks it's fixed).

"Have you opened pavucontrol to take a look to see if things are as they should be?"

What's pavucontrol?

"What kind of audio devices are we working with? On-board? Dedicated sound card?"
I believe it's an on-board chip, not completely sure.

"Is Pulse Audio Volume Control installed ?"

Oh that's what pavu is.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I installed it.

"user:~$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)"

Huh, so I really didn't state it was fixed in the original post, thus there's no reason I should assume anyone else thought it was solved and thus wouldn't help me either.

Check your pavucontrol to see if the output is set to HDMI or if it's set to something else - probably something containing "Intel HD Audia Stereo Analog".

I went to Output Devices and unmuted GP104 High Definition Audio Controller Digital, I can now hear audio again.

I'm gonna restart my system because I'm suspecting that might fuck it up, want to check.

If successful, you might want to go back through the threads, changing their titles to include the word [Solved] and then thank the user(s) who helped you while letting folks know that the issues have been resolved.

Okay, my audio still works.

That fixes my audio problem.
Thank you.

My remaining problem is that my desktop is still bigger than my resolution at 1080p.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts