[SOLVED] ATI Radeon Xpress 200 - model 1150 problem on Debian 8

D

diegoh.vanni

Dear,

At first I would like to say I just came here in the last case, cause I don't know what more I can try, if I'm posting in the wrong place, please move the post.

Well, my problem is very complicated, I've an old machine (Dell Vostro 1000) where I'm using Debian 8 with XFCE.
This machine have an integrated video card (ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200 - Model: 1150), and it doesn't work with Debian default configuration.

Let's see what I already have tried:

- To turn on my laptop without it shows the notorious colored stripes I need use the "nomodeset" code on grub.cfg.
- The Debian 8 appears don't have the xorg.conf (???), I made a Xorg.conf following the instructions at wiki debian (AtiHowTo) , without success.
- I tried already tried follow the procedures in the page above, cause the current proprietary driver is not compatible with my old video card. and the older version (legacy) can't be installed and shows some conflicts with "X". This way I have to use the generic linux driver.
- I tried set the display resolution using XRANDR, but it fails and when I made the insertion of another resolution, I just can't select this.
- Thinking about modules, maybe I can see a little ligth in the end of tunnel. I find a blacklist file into "/etc/modprobe.d" and removed the module "radeonfb" of blacklist, but when I tried to restart, the machine only shows a black screen with the mouse pointer only. to fix this I changed the "quiet" entry of boot line and changed it with "single" to show the command line and I can see that when the module "radeonfb" is loaded, the letters of command line become small (like it have made a resolution adjustment) but I need understand why only a black screen and the mouse pointer is showed.

Any tip/hint will be appreciated.

Thanks.

First off you need xserver-xorg-video-ati installed.
You probably also need firmware-linux-nonfree.

After that try to run Xorg via startx (after editing the .xinitrc file).

If you could provide us with the logs that would help a lot. (/var/log/...)

Hi dear, thanks for your help.

the modules are installed, follow attached my "Xorg" log.

Attachments

• Xorg.1.txt
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Hey all!

Some good news here.
I just discovered that when I remove the module "radeonfb" from "devfb-blacklist.conf", the SO only shows the mouse pointer in a black screen (ok, no news until here), but when I made that and boot in safe mode, the resolution is okay. :D

Now, what I need to uninstall? what is conflicting?

I found a solution:

- Remove the "radeonfb" module of blacklist (/etc/modeprobe.d/fbdev-blaclist.conf) and make a XORG file without pass the video driver, but passing "BusID":

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
  #Driver  "radeonfb"
  BusID  "PCI:1:5:0"
  Option  "DRI"  "true"
  Option  "ColorTiling"  "on"
  Option  "EnablePageFlip" "true"
  Option  "AccelMethod"  "EXA"
  Option  "RenderAccel"  "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier  "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier  "Default Screen"
  Monitor  "Configured Monitor"
  Device  "Configured Video Device"
  Defaultdepth  24
  SubSection  "Display"
  Modes  "1280x800"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
  Load "glx"
  Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
  Group  "video"
  Mode  0660
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DontZap"  "false"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
  Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Important Notes:
1. To this solution I'm not using FGLRX or FIRMWARE-LINUX installed, I think I don't have any acceleration, but it's sufficient to me now.
2. To boot the sistem, I put "radeon.modeset=0" into grub file (/etc/default/grub.cfg)

Really thanks for your help!