[solved] ACPI - Power Button

M

Matesax

I have:
ACPI
ACPID
ACPI-Support
packages and I don't have any Desktop - power manager,... I want to have hibernation in power button event. powerbtn is set to hibernate, but PC is shutdowning - why?
Thank you!

Last edited:

There are two types of "hibernation" - suspend to disk and suspend to RAM, which is it?

Also with that little info, there's not much to go on.

Distribution?

Kernel version?

Hardware?

Hibernation is hibernation - not suspend... Suspend using RAM, hibernation using SWAP. It is irrelevant... Problem is in ACPI action - no in pm-utils... pm-hibernate works! I builded Linux from scratch on AMD64 - but latest 32bit version.

Last edited:
I'm getting:

No support for device type: power_supply

It can be the problem?

Hibernation is hibernation - not suspend... Suspend using RAM, hibernation using SWAP. It is irrelevant... Problem is in ACPI action - no in pm-utils... pm-hibernate works! I builded Linux from scratch on AMD64 - but latest 32bit version.
Yes... but I didn't know that you knew that... just like I can't afford to hire a psychic to work out what hardware you have - money is tight this week, so perhaps next week...

Plus if you've already got all the answers and know what's relevant and what's irrelevant and managed to build an LFS system, you probably don't need anyone's help... you built your kernel, you know what you put into it/left out of it, you figure it out or try STFW...

Yes, I used to build OS from sources too many times. But always was enough to install ACPID and it was possible to set ACPI events handlers... Now, I install ACPID and power button event is not called. Therefore it must be problem between kernel and ACPI(D)...

Does this help at all - http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-command-to-suspend-hibernate-laptop-netbook-pc/

Hibernate - disk, hardware powered down
Sleep/Suspend - RAM (there are some minor differences between sleep and suspend), some power still used

Trick to remembering -
hibernation is more deep (try waking a hibernated animal) while sleep/napping is light (drugs excluded).

You could also manipulate the rc scripts. Also, the power button's actions can be tweaked in the power settings.

I want run pm-hibernate on ACPI event - pm-hibernate works! Only ACPI event handler powerbtn no...

Why do you described me hibernation and suspend? I know it - I'm Assembler Language & C/C++ programmer... :D

Mentioned error is not problem - ACPI not report any interesting messages... I tried restart ACPI etc. ACPI running... How can I determine where is the problem?

Debug:
Code:
acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy (16)
input layer /dev/input/event0 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 4
input layer /dev/input/event1 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 5
input layer /dev/input/event2 (AT Translated Set 2 keyboard) opened successfully, fd 6
input layer /dev/input/event4 (HDA NVidia Front Headphone) opened successfully, fd 7
input layer /dev/input/event5 (HDA NVidia Line Out) opened successfully, fd 8
input layer /dev/input/event6 (HDA NVidia Line) opened successfully, fd 9
input layer /dev/input/event7 (HDA NVidia Front Mic) opened successfully, fd 10
input layer /dev/input/event8 (HDA NVidia Rear Mic) opened successfully, fd 11
inotify fd: 12
inotify wd: 1
netlink opened successfully
acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
acpid: 1 rule loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is off

Last edited:
I want run pm-hibernate on ACPI event - pm-hibernate works! Only ACPI event handler powerbtn no...

Why do you described me hibernation and suspend? I know it - I'm Assembler Language & C/C++ programmer... :D

Mentioned error is not problem - ACPI not report any interesting messages... I tried restart ACPI etc. ACPI running... How can I determine where is the problem?

Debug:
Code:
acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy (16)
input layer /dev/input/event0 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 4
input layer /dev/input/event1 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 5
input layer /dev/input/event2 (AT Translated Set 2 keyboard) opened successfully, fd 6
input layer /dev/input/event4 (HDA NVidia Front Headphone) opened successfully, fd 7
input layer /dev/input/event5 (HDA NVidia Line Out) opened successfully, fd 8
input layer /dev/input/event6 (HDA NVidia Line) opened successfully, fd 9
input layer /dev/input/event7 (HDA NVidia Front Mic) opened successfully, fd 10
input layer /dev/input/event8 (HDA NVidia Rear Mic) opened successfully, fd 11
inotify fd: 12
inotify wd: 1
netlink opened successfully
acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
acpid: 1 rule loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is off

The definitions were not for you.;)

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about ACPI to figure out the error. Are there any special ACPI extensions that you can install that will give you better ACPI features or fix your problem.

What is your native language? Many users on this site use Google Translate to translate foreign languages, so if you feel you can ask better in your language, we can translate it thanks to Google's free service.

Oh no - so easy!!! :D So fast... (systemd)

/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Without pm-utils!

OK, but I have following problem - GRUB menu is showing after wake up from hibernation - how can I disable it at all?

Oh no - so easy!!! :D So fast... (systemd)

/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Without pm-utils!

OK, but I have following problem - GRUB menu is showing after wake up from hibernation - how can I disable it at all?

You could set up GRUB to boot-up the desired OS by default automatically after a set amount of time.

I'm not stupid... :D GRUB menu is not showing after normal boot. (I have only one OS in my computer - and GRUB menu is disabled) But after wake up from hibernation...

I'm not stupid... :D GRUB menu is not showing after normal boot. (I have only one OS in my computer - and GRUB menu is disabled) But after wake up from hibernation...

That is odd. I never heard of something like that happening.:eek:

https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6052

https://features.opensuse.org/308705?contenttype=text/print

http://hamberg.no/erlend/posts/2010-10-01-showing-grub-menu-after-hibernating-in-opensuse.html

http://askubuntu.com/questions/178091/how-to-disable-grubs-menu-from-showing-up-after-failed-boot

The problem persists despite all efforts... It is big problem for me because timeout for default selected menu item is missing - only in GRUB menu displayed after wake up. And I used not to care. Just turn on the computer and do not care about GRUB...

Odd that most people in those links have the opposite problem (trying to wake up to grub to choose the OS for muti-boot machines.)

This post on the openSUSE link is probably a step in the right direction...
> How grub knows there is a system in suspend/hibernate state?
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub gets called when you suspend to disk. It starts /usr/sbin/grubonce, telling grub which os to start next time.

Although most of the distros on those links don't use systemd by default (probably still initrd) so it could be an issue with how systemd "talks" to grub.

Since you aren't using pm-utils, grub probably doesn't make the /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub call after waking up. I'd look into alternatives for systemd or try to find a way to "hack" grub into calling 99Zgrub

Can't I simply disable the GRUB menu? I want to display it only after pressing shift key (modifier key).

That may be an option. I'm by no means a GRUB expert.

The first answer of this post mentions setting GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1110...grub-menu-showing-up-in-the-beginning-of-boot

I assume you may have this set already if you don't get GRUB at boot. Another option couldbe to define a custom systemd hook for suspend/hibernate...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks

Another option, you could disable GRUB altogether...

http://www.ondatechnology.org/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_the_Linux_Kernel_without_a_bootloader

Apparently only for kernel versions 3.3+ and on EFI mobos. I've never tried it though.

I have set GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET boolean to true... But thank you for those links! I unconditionally try it when I'll at home...

OK - sorry - "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" need only reboot - now it working!

Last edited: