Solution for RTL8188GU is needed.

aRaihanX

Reaction score
Credits
I have bought a Tenda W311MI USB WiFi adapter. This is not working in my 5.12.8 Kernel. lsusb command shows "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188GU 802.11n WLAN Adapter (Driver CDROM Mode)". Many people have the same issue. Is there any working solution?
Screenshot from 2021-06-03 17-37-43.png

Last edited:

I was looking into wifi dongles, and was considering buying a tenda as they reckon it will work with linux. Will be interested to see how you resolve it as realtek wifi drivers lack of compatibility with linux is the reason I need a dongle in the first place.

Many people has the same issue.
Yes including ME... as yet I have not managed to get my usb to work, my fault I did not check it's compatibility before i purchased it. [I have had it for about 5 yrs] every so often i plug in but there dosn't seem to be a driver in the kernel and from what I have found most of the suggested fixes only partially work.
Bwiz

edit.. the only Realtek chipset i know that dose work well [I have 3 of them] is the RTL8188CUS 802.11n chipset.

Yes including ME... as yet I have not managed to get my usb to work, my fault I did not check it's compatibility before i purchased it. [I have had it for about 5 yrs] every so often i plug in but there dosn't seem to be a driver in the kernel and from what I have found most of the suggested fixes only partially work.
Bwiz

edit.. the only Realtek chipset i know that dose work well [I have 3 of them] is the RTL8188CUS 802.11n chipset.

Some people said it worked in older kernel versions. Tenda's website contains some drivers from 2016. I tried all of them. Result is the same.

Some people said it worked in older kernel versions
this chipset came out around 2012 , I have had mine since 2016 [or there bout's] I have tried it in Ubuntu, Debian Stable & Debian Testing distributions, also tried to build it myself from various suggestions, and failed every-time. Nearly every Linux forum you can find will have the same question somewhere.
Bwiz

talking of the CHinese company Tenda i used a wifi unit few years back Africa. The unit was quite modest in price i guess ( or knowing me i would have bought it) pluged it into mains and it worked a treat.

one usb wifi adpater that does work with linux although mine is at least 10 years old is:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 148f:2070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2070 Wireless Adapter

@KGIII I have tried option 2... it worked but was bloody slow option,, 1,, I failed to get it to load
Brian

Those are the only two that I found in a brief search.

Think Penguin do a dedicated linux usb wifi adapter, but it's quite pricey ($49)

I tried these solutions yesterday. After trying these solutions, my problem was not solved. Still not working. Rather I had a problem. My system stopped shutting down. I could not solve this problem and I had to re-install my whole system.

This is workeds for me...

Pop Os 22.02
Ipason 802.11n mini usb adapter

realtek semiconductor corp. rtl8188gu 802.11n wlan adapter (after modeswitch)
sudo apt-get install build-essential git dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
git clone https://github.com/McMCCRU/rtl8188gu.git
cd rtl8188gu
make
sudo make install
sudo apt install --reinstall linux-firmware
sudo reboot

NOTE :

Disable CDROM mode and select in WiFi mode. (not for Ubuntu 20.04)​

eject /dev/cdrom0

I'm just gonna toss this out for anyone who might care: I have the Panda PAUO5 USB dongle, which uses the Ralink RT5372 (rt2800usb) driver. Been a great tool for when I had Wifi issues with built-in chips. I think the chipset is long supported by the kernel.

Members online