Solitaire Game PysolFC

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
I've tried downloading this game from the Software Manager on Mint. When it's installed, instead of seeing the usual Launch and Remove buttons, the only button that appears is Remove. When I go to my list of installed apps, it's nowhere to be found, even though I supposedly just installed it. When I ran a search, the message I got was app not installed.

I love solitaire and this looks like an excellent game. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Oh, I also went to the website and downloaded the app from there, but it got too complicated for my tired brain to figure out how to get it really installed and up and running.

Thanks to all my friendly gurus....

Granny Sue

G'day Sue, good to hear from you.

I have to leave for my evening but I'll be back in maybe 14 - 15 hours and someone else may happen along.

Cheers

Chris

Hi @Granny Sue ,
I am running Mint 19.3 presently.
I also have run into the same situation as you describe.
The solution I had was to wait a little bit - 5 minutes was plenty - then go ahead and 'Restart'
the cp. And there was the new program I had just installed.
Perhaps this will be of some help.
Old Geezer
TC

Thanks, TC, I'll give that a try.

Granny

Nice try, Charlie but no cigar this time :)

This appears to be a glitch (a bug) with Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' - Sue is using the MATE DE of this if I am not mistaken?

Good Morning (Sunday) from The Land Down Under :)

Sue can correct me if I am wrong.

She has opened Software Manager from her Menu, located Pysol Fan Club Edition aka PysolFC, and chosen Install.

This generates a small popup window with details of a number of files to be installed along with it, and she has pressed Continue.

The install has completed, and the button that said "Install" is replaced by a button for "Remove".

An icon should now be on Menu - Games, but Sue has looked and it is nowhere to be found. This is the bug part.

She has gone back to Software Manager and found a link to SourceForge, where she has then downloaded a tar for Pysol (ends in .tar.xz) and does not know how to go further.

Gimme a score out of 10, Sue.

I have both Sue's environment, and also have Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' Cinnamon on board, and it works as it should, with Tricia.

But Sue, Pysol is actually on your computer, it has just not generated the Menu icon.

If you want to try it out - I'll tell you what, I'll end this Post and start a fresh one with the workaround.

Cheers

Wizard - off for more coffee

EDITED as per Wiz's advice below

Right-click an empty spot on the desktop and choose 'Create a new launcher here'
Name it PysolFC
in the Command field enter '/usr/bin/pysoifc ' (without quotes)
Click OK
You will be asked to add to menu, click Yes

give this a try....it may work....no guarantees (wont do any harm)

Last edited:
It's all lowercase for the command - pysolfc.

But it's easier than that. Once you run the game once, maybe twice - the icon appears in Menu, as follows

ou8dfZJ.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - PYSOLFC NOW IN MENU

In order to run PySol, you can use a CLI approach (from Terminal) or one of two avenues GUI-based (point and click)

Quickest is Terminal:

Code:
Ctrl-Alt-t   #to open Terminal, then

pysolfc

I'll come back to those other options

Wiz

GUI-based:

There are two (2) presences for the PySol executable, either of which can be used to launch the game. Just open your File Manager (Caja in your case) and navigate as follows

1. Choose File System, then doubleclick /usr and double-click /games. There will be revealed one or more icons, depending on your games setup. Choose - doubleclick pysolfc and then Run and the game will launch.

j4f37Ot.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - PYSOL SYMLINK

Note where my cursor is, the icon has a curly arrow. This indicates a symlink - similar to Windows' shortcuts. Properties (from right-clicking it) reveals the path, although it is a little hidden. This path leads us to

2. Choose File System, then doubleclick /usr and double-click /share, and then double-click /games, and double-click /pysolfc. Here is where the majority of PySolFC lies. In its contents is pysol.py which is the Python executable. Double-click that and choose Run and the game launches.

Sue, I found the game's cardsets and appearance to be too small for me, Resizing the window has no effect

Once the game is first launched, it creates a Hidden Folder in your Home

.pysolfc

(note the dot). It is a good idea to be able to view your Home in full. To do so, press Ctrl-h in the Home pane, or edit Preferences to show hidden files and folders if the option is there. There is in there a config file but it does not have an option to enlarge the playing field and items.

I would advocate your trying the game first. If you want to stick with it, and that Menu Item has not appeared, then we can set a Launcher.

Brian's method will likely work, or else there is a direct method of right-clicking Menu and choose Edit Menu.

Let us know what you think, and BTW - have you used Aisleriot solitaire?

If not

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install aisleriot

Cheers

Wiz

OK, Wiz, thank you very much. I did do what TC suggested and found the game was there. However, I played it 2x and then it crashed. I haven't been back to it since. I will uninstall it and then try your solution. However, before I do that I have a couple of other issues to deal with. I'll start new threads.

Granny

OK, Wiz, thank you very much. I did do what TC suggested and found the game was there. However, I played it 2x and then it crashed. I haven't been back to it since. I will uninstall it and then try your solution. However, before I do that I have a couple of other issues to deal with. I'll start new threads.

Granny
Hey @wizardfromoz ,
Let's hear a partial "Yippee" for the old geezer. :cool:
She said it worked - at least twice! LOL,
Old Geezer
TC

It might not be a home run, Charlie, but it was a good hit ;);)

Wiz

Like maybe a 'double'?
LOL.
Old Geezer
TC

Have a look for KPatience in software manager. It works without all the fuss.

Thanks! I will!

Staff online