SOLIDWORKS '19/'20

zack9

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I just switched my Asus q536f laptop over to Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (5.0.0-32-generic) and although I'm appreciating many features of Linux, I'm having some issues here and there. One is that I need to use SOLIDWORKS '19/'20 for both work and school (mechanical engineering undergrad), and as I know there is no Linux specific version of this program. I'm able to use CATIA for one of my jobs but I need SOLIDWORKS for my other job and school, so I can't use a generic CAD software. I looked at the Wine program list and saw that only some versions of SOLIDWORKS are compatible with Wine.

What do Linux users who need to use the current version of SOLIDWORKS do? It was a bit laggy/crashy on my Windows 10 setup on the same laptop, so I'm hoping it can run smoother on the Linux software. I have a license from my school for Windows 10.

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Laptop Specs: Asus q536f, Intel Core i7-8565U CPU @ 1.8GHz x 4, NVIDIA GP107m [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] 256gb SSD, 2TB HDD, 4k touch, Kernel 5.0.0-32-generic, nvidia-driver-435 version 435.21-0ubuntu0.18.04.2.

Hey Zack,

If you have a Windows license then you should have no problems running a Windows virtual machine on your laptop and using SolidWorks on there.

Hope this helps!

Members online