Software that will read/convert input from a USB equipped turntable

wiz2525

Reaction score
Credits
I am looking for software that will read and allow conversion of my vinyls via a USB equipped turntable. I did this once on some software under Windows but in moving about, etc., lost the software, the machine crashed, whatever. Net result, all the DVDs are captured under that software code and can't be read so I have to start over. I will be updating my Linux later this year, but I would like to find some software for this project. I love my vinyls and never played/tracked them unless I was recording them. First it was SA TDK C90s... eventually DVDs. I just want them on the computer, on an external solid state drive (to be purchased before updating from Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia.

this article is a little old but may give you some guidance.

this is a little heaver from Audacity

audacity for linux is in most software sources

Bwiz

I would stay away from audacity because of recent changes made to their privacy policy audacity has gotten the status of being "Spyware" by most of the opensource community.

There is also OcenAudio

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stay away from audacity because of recent changes made to their privacy policy audacity has gotten the status of being "Spyware" by most of the opensource community.
There is a good article here about it

Damn' - I was going to suggest Audacity, but now I see I have to rethink that.

I have 300 or so vinyl knocking around that I would like to digitise, so I have an interest in this, too.

Thanks @f33dm3bits and Your Lordship for the heads up. :)

Wizard

the reason I sugested it in the first place is it was the most common software supplied with USB vinyl players

I think the reaction is a little alarmist.
The original patch to add the data collection to audacity was objected to by a number of audacity devs, so it was updated to make the data collection optional and opt-in. So it won’t collect data unless you allow it to.

Also, bear in mind, it’s a GPL application, so it would be trivial to fork it and remove that particular piece of functionality.

But I don’t think a fork is really necessary at this point in time.
I’d say audacity is absolutely fine to use!

I think the reaction is a little alarmist.
The original patch to add the data collection to audacity was objected to by a number of audacity devs, so it was updated to make the data collection optional and opt-in. So it won’t collect data unless you allow it to.

Also, bear in mind, it’s a GPL application, so it would be trivial to fork it and remove that particular piece of functionality.

But I don’t think a fork is really necessary at this point in time.
I’d say audacity is absolutely fine to use!
The new Privacy Policy is still against GPL.
  1. Minors
    1. The App we provide is not intended for individuals below the age of 13. If you are under 13 years old, please do not use the App.
It's illegal to collect personal information of children that's why they put an age-restriction in the new privacy policy and it's against GPL to restrict to use of the software in any way. Also why does an audio program need to collect personal information if it's just for processing local audio files and why does the government need the data collected by Audacity?

Last edited:
I attempted to download the version for my current outdated version of Linux from the oceanaudio.com website. I clicked on the version for my Sylvia 18.3... but it stated it was not available. Perhaps when I install the current Linux this problem will be solved.

The new Privacy Policy is still against GPL.

It's illegal to collect personal information of children that's why they put an age-restriction in the new privacy policy and it's against GPL to restrict to use of the software in any way. Also why does an audio program need to collect personal information if it's just for processing local audio files and why does the government need the data collected by Audacity?
I agree, they’re definitely in breach of the GPL with the age restriction thing! And even if the data collection is only for telemetry/error reporting, Muse have gone about things completely the wrong way!
But I don’t think the software is spyware just yet!

I attempted to download the version for my current outdated version of Linux from the oceanaudio.com website. I clicked on the version for my Sylvia 18.3... but it stated it was not available. Perhaps when I install the current Linux this problem will be solved.
If you download and install an up to date Linux distro, then audacity will be available in the repositories. And it will probably be a slightly earlier version, that doesn’t have any of this data collection, or privacy policy nonsense in it!

In the new Audacity Privacy Policy it states
"The privacy policy will be amended to state the above more clearly in advance of the next release (3.0.3)."
So IMHO I believe this statement only affects the next release and beyond so if you have an older version you should be fine.

Some 64bit appimages of Audacity older that don't have the undesirable features.....

Members online