Softawre installation on Ubuntu

Majid_Vatan_Parast

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody
I want to install a software that I have downloaded (VLC media player) , it does not have .deb file in it. Can anyone help me please .
I attach a picture of files available inside the downloaded file.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-20 06-21-50.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-20 06-21-50.png
    481.6 KB · Views: 720

open a terminal
cd to inside that directory
see what happens if you do $ ./configure --help
i say that because i can see configure ,makefile in there

i'm on Slackware but you should be just able to do $ apt search vlc

Open command terminal and copy and paste the command.

sudo apt install synaptic

When finished close command terminal and restart computer you can then install software using synaptic package manager.

Another way to install software is to open command terminal and copy and paste this command.

sudo apt install vlc

Press enter and then enter password.

You can also open the software manager and install from there although I prefer the above methods.

open a terminal
cd to inside that directory
see what happens if you do $ ./configure --help
i say that because i can see configure ,makefile in there

i'm on Slackware but you should be just able to do $ apt search vlc
I get this error message when I enter ./configure in terminal.
"configure: error: Could not find lua. Lua is needed for some interfaces (rc, telnet, http) as well as many other custom scripts. Use --disable-lua to ignore this error."

Lua is a free software light-weight programming language designed
for extending applications. Lua is also frequently used as a
general-purpose, stand-alone scripting language.

There are different approaches to installing software packages. Common parameters are what packages are needed to support main package to work -dependencies.What is the machine your using software on ?architecture x86-64 ,i486,I586, i686 etc what is the OS , thus .deb -Debian , RPM red hat (from top of my head), tar.gz slackware.

Lua is a "dependency" for VLC to work.
When you ran ./configure --help. Yous system flagged up, you ain't got Lua.

Now getting packages & deps can be done via a graphical package manager, such as Synaptic which usually has some GUI to go with it.

So i agree with poorguy, one way who is to go synaptic route ..hes asking you to get it via an install using command line.Cant believe that not a core packages ? You might have to play with CLi, Ubuntu was based on Debian. Commands used to be:

$apt update // updates package listing
$apt search vlc // looks tyo see if vlc is in repo

Root is needed so as poorguy says :
sudo apt install synaptic //installs synpatic
sudo apt install vlc //installs vlc

now if you want to go old school the process is basically

$ ./configure
$ make
sudo make install

// ./configure --help should just flag up info

Now the reason i like slackware is its a bit old school ,there are now package managers that install main package and deps eg : slpkg

But you can do it the manual way:

eg https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/multimedia/vlc/

here you see all the deps needed, then can go read about them.

in summary if you go manual you have to find out, what are the desps and install them first , not unusually in the rigght order, or get a pkg manager to auto process .

Last edited:
I have downloaded it from vlc's site.I need to learn installing software without software center .
The software centre or synaptic or using terminal are the proper right and smart way of downloading and installing software.

When downloading software using the software centre or synaptic or using terminal all packages and dependencies are all downloaded and installed.

Software from the Ubuntu repository is proven and tested and secure which is one of the reasons to use Linux . No third party downloads.

Even VLC website downloads a snap so you might as well use the Ubuntu software Centre.

Did you read psychocats to the end?
Last resorts: .rpm and .tar.gz
The preferred way to install software in Ubuntu is to use the package manager, which you can access through Ubuntu Software Center. As we've seen with Skype, sometimes you can also find a .deb for software not in the repositories. But what if you can't find a .deb?
.rpm
If you can't find a .deb, you can try a .rpm. These files are packaged for other Linux distributions (usually Fedora or Mandriva), but there is an application called alien (which you can install using Synaptic) that allows you (most of the time) to convert .rpm files to .deb. Read more about this process.
.tar.gz
As a last resort, you can download a .tar.gz file. The .tar.gz file extension indicates the file is a compressed set of files and folders (the compressed files you see in Windows usually have a .zip extension). If you see the .tar.gz, it could be compressed files that have a precompiled binary file, or it could be compressed files that have the source code allowing you to compile the application from source.
If you have trouble installing a .tar.gz file, you can ask for help on the Ubuntu Forums.

probably what it comes down to is this: 1) you want to download quick ,secure with all deps official route but don't really want to learn or see the details 2) you want to learn , probably mess up -thats ok thats often how you learn. @Majid_Vatan_Parast if you like going the "scenic" route start with software that doesn't have any deps and is pretty simple. How about tex2html ? i've just been dabling with that for a slackbuild.Do this: open up a terminal or whatever you call it in Ubuntu.
$ cd Desktop
$ wget -O latex2html-2019.2.tar.gz https://github.com/latex2html/latex2html/archive/v2019.2.tar.gz

make sure if your lazy & copy you don't get

$ $ wget.......

thats gets latest release github with the name
latex2html-2019.2.tar.gz

Now unpack it unpack it, cd into it & do
$ ./configure --help

then have a go at :
$ ./configure
$ make
sudo make install

that should install it old school.

then if it goes ok , type
$latex2html --help
it may come up , binary
type $ y

option s should come up

let us know how you get on

No , I have downloaded it from vlc's site.I need to learn installing software without software center .

Why?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @Majid_Vatan_Parast and welcome to linux.org :)

You are trying to install VLC v3.0.7.1 from a tar, onto Ubuntu 19.04 GNOME 'Disco Dingo' (one of my country's native animals :p), which, as a point release, has a life expectancy of nine (9) months, ie January 2020.

Apps installed via Tar do not update automatically, see

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1125343/update-upgrade-a-program-installed-via-tar-gz

So you would manually have to download a new one and install it, after completely removing the old one, in case of conflicting dependencies having similar versions, causing conflicts.

If you followed the advice of Arochester and Poorguy above, you could likely easily install a VLC around the v3.0.6 mark. Or if you downloaded a .deb for 3.0.7.1, and added it, it will be captured within the "net" of Synaptic Package Manager for automatic updates.

Latest I can see "out there" is v3.0.6-1.deb at https://pkgs.org/download/vlc - but that should be OK?

Installing from Tar for software that is not available through other means, and not updated regularly, is fine for practice, but not my personal preference.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

i think he did day "I need to learn installing software without software center ." obviously an approach like slackbuilds for slackware puts package management into an official orderly system , that can easily be updated or removed cleanly

If you're building vlc from source:

You need to ensure that you have the source repositories enabled:
Code:
sudo sed -Ei 's/^# deb-src /deb-src /' /etc/apt/sources.list

Then update the package lists:
Code:
sudo apt update

Install the build-essential package:
Code:
sudo apt install build-essential

Install the build dependencies for vlc and vlc-plugin-qt for the GUI part:
Code:
sudo apt build-dep vlc vlc-plugin-qt

Install some additional missing development files that are not listed in the build-deps:
Code:
sudo apt install libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libx11-xcb-dev qtquickcontrols2-5-dev

Finally un-tar the vlc source code (or clone it from the vlc git repo).
Then follow the build instructions for vlc.

For VLC you have to run a bootstrap script BEFORE running configure and make.
So for a default build, without changing any build-options, you would cd into the root of the source-tree and use the commands:
Code:
./bootstrap
./configure
make

That should build VLC for you.

Once it has built successfully - you will need to install it.

Sometimes when building from source - the build system will be set up to create a debian package. I can't remember offhand whether VLC does have that facility or not. You'd need to consult the make-file and the rest of the VLC documentation - but if it does support it, you should use make to build the debian package and then install the built package using dpkg, or apt.

Otherwise - if the sources you are building from are NOT set up to build the Debian package already, then you can simply use:
Code:
sudo make install

See also this thread:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts