Sockets identification

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
Anyone know what those ports on the right of the picture are called and what devices connect on them?

Screenshot from 2022-09-17 11-48-30.png

I have found this article and it seems this is the upper big one
but what about the two ports below it

Last edited:

Coo this is an old picture, starting
top left round/green PS2 port for mouse
bottom left round/purple PS2 port for keyboard,
lower second from left 2x USB1.1 ports
top Pink enhanced parallel port more often called the printer port
Bottom green D9 ports or 2x9 pin serial ports for early type mouse and game controllers
the computer this is taken from did not have on board graphics and I would place it between 1982 and 1990
edit, if it had on board graphics one of the D9 ports was usually replaced by a 9pin vga port

Last edited:
Just to add, at the time this was made printers were only black ink and the average print speed was 5 pages [A4/foolscap/US letter] per minute, manufacturers moved over to USB connections for the faster data transfer rate

Thanks you Brickwizard, this is how old is the material I'm studying for a lesser degree in computer networks

this is how old is the material I'm studying for a lesser degree in computer networks
you will find many of the older networks around the world still using these boards, the pink enhanced parralell port could be used for other thing apart from printers some early routers used them, the previous ones were very slow and black

Anyone know what those ports on the right of the picture are called and what devices connect on them?

View attachment 13532

I have found this article and it seems this is the upper big one
but what about the two ports below it

believe it or not!
I can well believe it, where transfer speeds are not important some have had no reason to change

My Tower in 2001 looked something like that...only remember ps2 ports for mouse and keyboard and a port for the monitor. I had a cable port for internet and USB 2 for printer.
happy0035.gif

When I bought my next Tower I had to buy a new mouse and keyboard because it was USB as it is today.
happy0054.gif

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts