• ubuntu

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • cent os

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • debian

Votes: 19 17.8%
  • fedora

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Red Hat(i dont even know that this is)

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • kali

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • arch

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • manjaro

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters

G'day Mr Mushroom, and Welcome to Linux.org

Keep it simple to start.

Then when you have some knowledge you will be in a better position to make a more informed choice concerning which distro.

Therefore, Linux Mint is the obvious choice.

G'day @Mr Mushroom and likewise on the welcome - another Aussie here :)

I'll leave this as is as a Poll/Survey for now, so that you can get an idea of popularity, but I have edited it to multiple choice, and voted for six (6) of them, as being good for beginners.

A Poll will not indicate to you what is best for your needs, and what is best suited to your computer setup (rig).

Which Windows are you using, 7, 8, or 10?

In any of them, you can go to Start and type in

msinfo32 and enter

You could then use the Windows Snipping Tool to take a screenshot and Post it up to us, and we can get a broad idea of your specs.

Then we can better advise.

You could also tell us if you are a Gamer or not.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I like Kali! But if you are new to Linux, I think Mint and Ubuntu are great choices! I'm sure all of them have their positives.

Also, you could see which name you like best and which one speaks to you because I believe an OS might stay with you for a while, maybe get a feel for them by researching each one and see which one makes you happiest!

I hope this somehow makes your decision making a bit more fun! Have a good day :)

Hello Mr Mushroom,

Well from my experience with helping Windows residents migrate to Linux I've found Linux Mint Xfce works very well.

Besides being easy to navigate it installs and works well OOTB on most standard oem boxes or does on my oem boxes.

There is also a lot of forum help available as a lot of people on forums use Linux Mint one version or another.

Linux isn't hard to learn if the new user is willing to spend a little time to learn the basics of what Linux is about etc.

Certain Linux Distros come with a small learning curve while some Linux Distros are not user friendly and therefore not meant for a new Linux user.

I suggest Linux Mint Xfce to start and to learn about Linux while using and then start to check out other Linux Distros.

The important thing is to have fun with your Linux whatever the choice.

Have a look at and read as many times as needed.
https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-try-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc.20993/

Linux Mint Documentation.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Linux Mint Download.
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Linux Mint Mate was what I chose I didn't know what I was getting I just like the green lol!
As an ex windows user this is one of the best OS I have ever used.

@xXNORDXx .......
""As an ex windows user this is one of the best OS I have ever used.""

aWZkM0E.jpg

.....and the more you explore with it, the more you realise just what stunning versatility it has

G'day @Mr Mushroom and likewise on the welcome - another Aussie here :)

I'll leave this as is as a Poll/Survey for now, so that you can get an idea of popularity, but I have edited it to multiple choice, and voted for six (6) of them, as being good for beginners.

A Poll will not indicate to you what is best for your needs, and what is best suited to your computer setup (rig).

Which Windows are you using, 7, 8, or 10?

In any of them, you can go to Start and type in

msinfo32 and enter

You could then use the Windows Snipping Tool to take a screenshot and Post it up to us, and we can get a broad idea of your specs.

Then we can better advise.

You could also tell us if you are a Gamer or not.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I have a core i5 m540
8 gb of ram
unfortunately I have the 32 bit of windows because I just installed 8 gb of ram

That computer will run any of the Linux Distros you have listed.

BTW - Red Hat is a commercial product, you pay for it and get support. It is designed for large businesses.

Its free versions are Fedora and CentOS.

Cheers

Wizard

I like Kali! But if you are new to Linux, I think Mint and Ubuntu are great choices! I'm sure all of them have their positives.

Also, you could see which name you like best and which one speaks to you because I believe an OS might stay with you for a while, maybe get a feel for them by researching each one and see which one makes you happiest!

I hope this somehow makes your decision making a bit more fun! Have a good day :)
Welcome to the group., Jaimie. :) Have you posted an intro as yet?

Happy Trails,
Paul

That computer will run any of the Linux Distros you have listed.

BTW - Red Hat is a commercial product, you pay for it and get support. It is designed for large businesses.

Its free versions are Fedora and CentOS.

Cheers

Wizard
its a dell latitude e6410 btw, the one without the gpu

Members online

Latest posts