so glad I finally paid attention to this site!

D

DeeDeeK

Process is more important than Product.

I'm an old-school programmer, who hadn't written a line of code since 1990ish. Proficient in Zilog Z8, m68k, and mos6502 assembly, Modula-2, Atari Basic (8 bit Atari), I thought it'd be great to get a system I can really dig deep into and learn all about from hardware on up. And learn C.

I'm also an artist and writer and I'm so glad I ignored all the helpful suggestions that I should learn everything else but C. Seems that artsy types aren't expected to be able or want to leave the shallow end of the pool. It's taken a long time to really get somewhere but now that I'm getting familiar with C, and Xlib & XCB, I'm able to do much more, much faster, and with more detailed control than Javascript, Processing, etc., would allow.

Now I'm hungry to learn more and it looks like there are some members here who really know some stuff and I'm genuinely excited! There are so many Linux oriented sites, it's very hard to find the right ones for me. When people read 'artist' they assume I won't be interested or understand more technical stuff, and I've been given so many bum steers from well meaning people, that for a while I nearly gave up trying.

From what I've read in posts here, it looks like a clear question can elicit some very good answers. I'm interested in "how you can do that" much more than "you don't want to do that" or "that won't work." Even less impressive to me is the statement "it can't be done," when it comes without any useful suggestions. If something can't be done, then it can be very instructive to try and fail. As an artist and an autodidact, the process is more important to me than the product.

Welcome to the community.
I hope you find the answers you are looking for here. Most of us try to be as positive and helpful as we can.
Occasionally, you might get the odd negative personality/nut-job, but they're pretty rare here!

Welcome to the community.
I hope you find the answers you are looking for here. Most of us try to be as positive and helpful as we can.
Occasionally, you might get the odd negative personality/nut-job, but they're pretty rare here!
Hey, who knows? I might be a nut-job and not even know it!

Yeah, there's always gonna be someone who starts replies with "Well, you obviously don't know anything about..." and I've slowly learned not to personalize it. Anyhow, it's good if it's obvious I don't know about something it would be good for me to learn. That way someone will let me know about it.

Zilog Z8! Oh My, that does bring back some memories! :D:D 1MHZ Z80s with a whopping 1k of ram! Yeah buddy those were the good old days:):). Welcome the the merry crew, mate.:cool: Good thing you're hungry, because this is an all you can eat buffet, minus the stuffed feeling and burping.

Paul