Snap updates in Firefox

• Thread starter Deleted member 140508
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 140508

I get the messages of Pending update of Firefox snap in my notifications every day despite Firefox being up to date on my machine. Why do I get those notifications and how do I fix them. I use Ubuntu 22.04.

Try in the terminal
Code:
killall firefox
then run
Code:
sudo snap refresh

Try in the terminal
Code:
killall firefox
then run
Code:
sudo snap refresh
I ran those commands before. I don't want to have to run "sudo snap refresh" everytime. Is there a way to prevent that notification from happening permanently?

I don't really know since I do not use snap - but you could remove the Firefox Snap package and use the mozilla ppa instead to install Firefox
Code:
sudo snap remove firefox
With the Firefox Snap package uninstalled from Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, you’ll need to remove the “firefox.tmp” folder from your “Downloads” directory. You can remove this folder with the following rm command.
Code:
rm -rf ~/Downloads/firefox.tmp/
now add the repository
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install firefox

Hopefully this will work

From sniffing around and commentary elsewhere, the current Firefox Snap has issues. If this is a new problem, you can probably be patient and it will resolve itself with the next update. If this problem has existed for a while, I'm not sure what to suggest - except maybe following the advice above and using the PPA version - being careful to remove the Snap version along the way.

Thank you. I followed the steps and hopefully it was resolved.

The snap version was slow loading first time. The mozilla ppa version loads fast just like the pre-snap days. Thanks for that info.

The snap version was slow loading first time.

That's actually something Mozilla is working on. So, we'll have to wait and see... As I don't generally use Firefox, I leave it as a Snap app for testing purposes.

The snap version was slow loading first time. The mozilla ppa version loads fast just like the pre-snap days. Thanks for that info.
You are welcome - also you can install Thunderbird from that PPA as well

I have Ubuntu on one of my systems and Firefox is the only one that annoys with those messages so I switched to the ppa as well on that system.

Actually there are several options.
There's Ubuntuzilla as well. It works on Ubuntu and Debian.

Welcome to Ubuntuzilla​

This is the home of the Ubuntuzilla project, hosts an APT repository with .deb repacks of the latest official release versions of Mozilla Firefox, Firefox ESR, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird. This repository should work on any APT-based distribution, including Ubuntu descendants, and Debian descendants. The project was born on Ubuntu forums, but despite the name is not really specific to Ubuntu.

Members online