Snap updates in Firefox

Reaction score
Credits
I get the messages of Pending update of Firefox snap in my notifications every day despite Firefox being up to date on my machine. Why do I get those notifications and how do I fix them. I use Ubuntu 22.04.

OP
A
Reaction score
Credits
Try in the terminal
Code:
killall firefox
then run
Code:
sudo snap refresh
I ran those commands before. I don't want to have to run "sudo snap refresh" everytime. Is there a way to prevent that notification from happening permanently?

Lord Boltar

Reaction score
Credits
I don't really know since I do not use snap - but you could remove the Firefox Snap package and use the mozilla ppa instead to install Firefox
Code:
sudo snap remove firefox
With the Firefox Snap package uninstalled from Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, you’ll need to remove the “firefox.tmp” folder from your “Downloads” directory. You can remove this folder with the following rm command.
Code:
rm -rf ~/Downloads/firefox.tmp/
now add the repository
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install firefox

Hopefully this will work

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
From sniffing around and commentary elsewhere, the current Firefox Snap has issues. If this is a new problem, you can probably be patient and it will resolve itself with the next update. If this problem has existed for a while, I'm not sure what to suggest - except maybe following the advice above and using the PPA version - being careful to remove the Snap version along the way.

Thunderpants

Reaction score
Credits
The snap version was slow loading first time. The mozilla ppa version loads fast just like the pre-snap days. Thanks for that info.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
The snap version was slow loading first time.

That's actually something Mozilla is working on. So, we'll have to wait and see... As I don't generally use Firefox, I leave it as a Snap app for testing purposes.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I have Ubuntu on one of my systems and Firefox is the only one that annoys with those messages so I switched to the ppa as well on that system.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online