smbd write syncronisation data loss

mower

Reaction score
Credits
I had big fail with one month data loss because of this:
I have smb-share on USB-Stick. The USB-Stick uncouples because of hardware error. The kernel couldn't write on USB-Stick and throws error messages in kernel log. But the smbd demon works as when there is no problem. So from windows client I can write files without getting noticed that the write access is only done into cache and filesystem journal but not physically on flash memory. This works one month until cache overflow. At this point the error is occured on windows client.

How I prevent this scenario? I think the error is in kernel file subsystem handling. The kernel must instruct the smbd demon immediatly like this: hey smbd demon, I cannot write your filechanges from cache to flash, so you must decline all filechanges to cache because I cannot ensure that chache-changes are written to flash, so data loss may occure.

If filewriting from windows client does not work, the user is informed immediatly that there is something wrong and don't runs into trap with data loss over long time. (error messages in kernel log are useless, because windows client don't see this and don't pass error messages from linuxkernel to windows user)

Members online

Latest posts