Slow Nvidia card (bumblebee)

psi

Reaction score
Credits
Hello
I'm trying to get as much performance as was in Windows.
I launch a game with primusrun in console with Wine, with Nvidia GeGorce 720M, and the game sees card as GTX470, but performance is very poor, with fps around 30-20 on lowest settings. It seems to me this is not related to temperature. Longer in-game, slower the PC.

Do I have the wrong driver?

I tried to check this with:
Code:
$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] [] (rev ff)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev ff)
Your card is supported by all driver versions.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.
That package I have, from official Debian Stretch repository.

G'day @psi and welcome to linux.org :)

Are you able to run a search in Synaptic Package Manager in Stretch and establish that nvidia-driver package is definitely installed?

Can you show us a screenshot?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That's great news, @psi :)

I have bookmarked that link for my own knowledge base, thanks for sharing.

The only question I have for you is - do you have a 64-bit architecture machine?

If so, you may just want to keep and eye out with your next set of updates, depending on whether you perform them through Terminal or not.

With

Code:
dpkg --add-architecture i386

... there is a chance that Linux will want to replace amd64 packages with i386 packages, so be careful you choose well if that occurs.

If you have not already got it on board, you might want to install Timeshift and take a snapshot of your system, then you can roll back if things go wrong.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Wizard

Mate I am seriously beyond my paygrade where Games are concerned o_O:D

Are you running Windows still or is Stretch the only OS on the machine?

Given you already have a 32-bit Linux on the machine some of that article you linked to may not be necessary.

If you are dualbooting, you will have a Grub Menu with Stretch on top followed by something about Win bootloader/manager.

If your hard drive is of a good size, you could consider installing a 64-bit Stretch alongside your existing setup. Linux will allow for this, and the new Stretch would move to the top of Grub.

Then see how the game runs, if there is improvement, you can remove the previous Stretch and regain the space.

There is also a possibility of swapping from your nVidia driver to the generic Nouveau driver provided by Xorg, but over the years some Gamers have reported a loss in performance with Nouveau, I do not know if that is still the case.

Let me know the name of the Game and I can scout around.

And output from Terminal of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

... would be useful.

Cheers

Wizard

Ok, I'll try installing 64-bit OS to see any improvement, if I manage this with (encrypted drive), but I'll take care of that. And that's going to be Ubuntu:rolleyes:
That output of inxi command is huge. I'll try to include what's neccesary:
Code:
System:    Host: host Kernel: 4.9.0-8-686-pae i686 (32 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30)
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3337U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7184
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2501 MHz 2: 895 MHz 3: 896 MHz
           4: 804 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes

Okay, even in Ubuntu, games somewhat slow, even though it uses proprietary Nvidia. As a long time Windows user I give up and install Windows for dual-boot... No more headache
Thanks for trying to help me

Thanks for trying to help me

You're welcome but it does not appear that we got much done to help :(

If you let us know the game and version, I can still Google around, there may be others in your situation.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Staff online

Members online