Slow loading times in games

JayKay2108

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I've recently noticed that my games load really slowly. Like, I load last in CSGO. Maps load slowly in l4d. Borderlands loads slowly. Despite the fact, everything is on an NVMe.

Fedora 37
Ryzen 7 1800x
32gb
7900xt
WD sn850 1 TB

Any ideas where I should start looking? Thanks

You should be grateful that those games even work in Linux and you shouldn't complaining for slow load times

You are going to have to define slow because slow not the same for everyone. Fast for a turtle is slow for a rabbit and fast for a rabbit is very fast for a turtle, it depends if you are a turtle or a rabbit as in your definition of fast. So are you the rabbit or the turtle, how slow is slow for you?

When I launch Borderlands 3 it takes about 1 minute to get to the menu and once I continue my game it takes about 15 seconds to load into the map. I have no idea what the loading times are in Windows but from my experience compared to other games Borderlands 3 is just a very heavy game taking quite a bit out of your system even if you have better specs than recommended and on to op that it also running on a translation layer aka Proton.

Best thing to probably do is for BL3 is to reply to the existing issue with logs and stuff launch times etc.

No idea if you are running CSGO natively or through Proton, if the later it might be worth switching to the native version and see if there is a difference and if not also create a reply to the existing issue for the game.

You are going to have to define slow because slow not the same for everyone. Fast for a turtle is slow for a rabbit and fast for a rabbit is very fast for a turtle, it depends if you are a turtle or a rabbit as in your definition of fast. So are you the rabbit or the turtle, how slow is slow for you?

When I launch Borderlands 3 it takes about 1 minute to get to the menu and once I continue my game it takes about 15 seconds to load into the map. I have no idea what the loading times are in Windows but from my experience compared to other games Borderlands 3 is just a very heavy game taking quite a bit out of your system even if you have better specs than recommended and on to op that it also running on a translation layer aka Proton.

Best thing to probably do is for BL3 is to reply to the existing issue with logs and stuff launch times etc.

No idea if you are running CSGO natively or through Proton, if the later it might be worth switching to the native version and see if there is a difference and if not also create a reply to the existing issue for the game.
I'm sorry for being vague.

Oh okay, maybe borderlands were a false alarm. However, in Left 4 Dead 2, my friends can be loaded into the map and playing 1–2 minutes before me, even though arguably I have a better PC (even with mods turned off).

In terms of CSGO, I'm running it natively. Even so, I'm loading at the end of a 4-minute warm-up.

To me, it sounds like you're saying it takes several minutes to load into games? That's not normal when you have an SSD.

I would suggest to start with a benchmark and see what kind of performance you're seeing, that way you can at least rule out a potential hardware issue.

You should be grateful that those games even work in Linux and you shouldn't complaining for slow load times
How rude!
Hi, I've recently noticed that my games load really slowly. Like, I load last in CSGO. Maps load slowly in l4d. Borderlands loads slowly. Despite the fact, everything is on an NVMe.

Any ideas where I should start looking? Thanks

I've seen Linux game or even proton stuff load significantly faster than on windows for me. What you're experiencing is definitely not normal. You may want to check your hard drive's SMART data. Defer to the search engines on the internet on how to do that.

Once we determine your hard drive is healthy, you may wish to check whether it is suffering from thermal throttling. If memory serves, your M.2 is a western digital black edition, requiring a heat sink. You may wish to investigate that it is, in fact not thermal throttling.

If you're experiencing slow loading times in your games, here are some quick tips to help improve the situation:

1. Check your hardware:
    • Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for the game.
    • Ensure your hard drive has enough free space for smooth operation.
  2. Update your graphics drivers:
    • Outdated drivers can lead to performance issues.
    • Visit the manufacturer's website or use your distribution's update tool to get the latest drivers.
  3. Optimize in-game settings:
    • Lower graphics settings, such as resolution and detail levels.
    • Disable features like anti-aliasing or motion blur, if possible.
    • Experiment with different settings to find the right balance between performance and visuals.
  4. Defragment your hard drive:
    • Fragmentation can slow down loading times.
    • Use the appropriate tools for your operating system to defragment your hard drive.
  5. Close unnecessary background applications:
    • Other programs consuming system resources can impact game performance.
    • Close any unnecessary applications running in the background.
  6. Disable startup programs:
    • Some programs automatically start with your operating system, consuming resources.
    • Disable unnecessary startup programs to free up system resources for gaming.
  7. Upgrade your hardware:
    • If your system is outdated or struggling to meet the game's requirements, consider upgrading your hardware.
    • Upgrading your CPU, adding more RAM, or switching to a faster solid-state drive (SSD) can significantly improve loading times.

Staff online