Sleep mode in MInt 20

gillsman

Reaction score
Credits
I am running Mint Ulyana 20, for no particular reason I have always shutdown my system after use every time, I realise that if simply close the lid so it goes to sleep it will open up instantly which is a big plus but is there any limit to how long I can leave it in this mode, for example will the battery be able to maintain this mode for long (hours / days or longer) under normal use my battery would only last about 2 hours max, I know it could be left plugged in but I don't like leaving it plugged in overnight or when I'm not there & then what of the system itself does it benefit from rebooting or is it not critical in Linux, there may also be other issues I have not though of, what do others recommend.
Thanks

The controversial laptop battery question:

I do have desktop systems, that don't get turned off for months at a time. I do reboot them from
time to time, but some of them have not been turned off in 6 or 7 months. Linux
typically doesn't have any issues with this.

Laptops... that's another story. It depends on the manufacturer and type of battery.
Some Laptops are fine with being plugged in all the time. My Lenovo and my Dell laptops
are almost always plugged in.

I have a ASUS and a Toshiba Satellite, these two liked to be unplugged as much as possible.
If I leave them plugged in all the time, the battery goes bad. Maybe there are some after market batteries that are better, I don't know. The ASUS is a good laptop, but after the second battery, I just use it like a desktop, I leave it plugged in all the time.

The controversial laptop battery question:

I do have desktop systems, that don't get turned off for months at a time. I do reboot them from
time to time, but some of them have not been turned off in 6 or 7 months. Linux
typically doesn't have any issues with this.

Laptops... that's another story. It depends on the manufacturer and type of battery.
Some Laptops are fine with being plugged in all the time. My Lenovo and my Dell laptops
are almost always plugged in.

I have a ASUS and a Toshiba Satellite, these two liked to be unplugged as much as possible.
If I leave them plugged in all the time, the battery goes bad. Maybe there are some after market batteries that are better, I don't know. The ASUS is a good laptop, but after the second battery, I just use it like a desktop, I leave it plugged in all the time.
Mine is a Fujitsu Lifebook AH530, when the original battery died I purchased a cheap replacement from Ebay & to be honest it's not great, it will only last a couple of hours on a full charge, (you get what you pay for of course) but I only wanted it so if I moved around the house it would still function until I plugged it in again & that's how I normally use it (I don't take it outside the house)

I think I will use sleep & just shutdown overnight or for prolonged periods, I was just interested to see what others do.
Thanks for your input.

Have you had a look at TLP?

Members online