Skype Under Linux, & Alternatives

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
BACKGROUND

My wife and I each have a shrink (psychiatrist), whom are coincidentally partners working out of the same rooms, in Ipswich, 180 km (112 mls) away from us, a 5-hour round trip by a combination of highway and built-up roads. She sees her doctor every 12 weeks or so, and I mine once a year.

For over 3 years now, hers has employed Skype to hold video sessions with those whom are either too far away for easy travel, or whom can't make the trip for another reason eg moderate illness.

We have only used the Skype option once, and that was around 2013 - 2014, and at that time I was on Windows 7 only, prior to installing Ubuntu Unity 14.04, Zorin OS 9 and Linux Mint 17.0 'Qiana', MATE, in quick succession, followed by my exit from usage of Windows.

Most recently (we are Pensioners on welfare), we had to cancel and reschedule one of her visits as we had not enough petrol (gasoline) money to make the trip, so I am looking at the Skype under Linux options.

CURRENT SOTN (STATE OF THE NATION)

The shrink is likely using Windows 7 or later, and so I enlisted the aid of my good friend Brian (aka Member Condobloke), to test-drive Skype. One of Brian's PCs runs Linux Mint 18.1 'Serena' with the Cinnamon DE, and he also has Win 10 on a VM on the same unit.

We had our first Skype session this morning in Oz, and kept peering at each other while we alternately waved and spoke and adjusted settings. Killed an hour. (Definitely) Not sure we got it all sorted, but we had a ball and solved the world's problems at the same time.

With the Minties (Linux Mint) putting on Skype is as simple as

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install skype

because it's in Clem's Repos.

You might also be aware of one of Brian's Topic here, https://www.linux.org/threads/panel-launch-icons-flashwhen-clicked.4478/#post-12597 , which we solved with the introduction of dconf-editor.

Now despite having installed probably 100 Linuxes, and currently using 46, I had not ever noticed the flashing icons in MATE's panel (slow on the uptake, eh, Wiz?). Now, it drives me crackers (thanks Brian).

In the Garage, on its PC, where I am HQ'ed most afternoons, I have 36 Linux, including seven (7) MATE. So I am going through them, figuring to kill two birds with one stone, and applying

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install dconf-editor skype

but fail with Ubuntu 16.10 'Yakkety Yak' MATE, one of my faves, sadly to lose support next month.

Seems Mark Shuttleworth's people don't include Skype by default (not to say I can't get a PPA or a .deb for it, have not looked yet).

Mark's got this bogus Software Boutique instead of a real Software Centre, by default, so I install Software Centre, search under Skype, and get the following:

6USwmDJ.png

So my (long-awaited) questions are as follows:

1. Is spreedme a viable alternative to Skype?
  2. Can we put Skype on the 'buntus?
  3. If it's a given that each Linux OS that has Skype in its Repos may have slightly different version numbers down to the dotpoint releases, is/are there features I should be looking for that enhance the experience?
  4. I do not confine myself to just Debian-based Distros, I also use RPM-based, Arch-based, Gentoo-based, and am girding my loins to adventure into the realms of Slackware and the Puppies before the end of the year (there, be dragons)
TIA folks!

Wizard
BTW and what the frick is Nextcloud?

1. Is spreedme a viable alternative to Skype?#
I don't know. From looking online, spreed.me certainly looks like a viable alternative to Skype.
But you would only be able to contact other spreed.me users.

There are also programs like Linphone and Jitsi, which support making voice/video calls via the SIP protocol.
But again, they can only be used to contact other people using programs which use the SIP protocol.
So you could call a Linphone user from Jitsi etc. But you couldn't call a Skype user from Jitsi or Linphone - because AFAIK Skype uses a proprietary protocol to communicate with other users.

Yes you can!
I've never been a Skype user. I refuse to install it. But from what I remember - in the *buntu's - Skype is usually available from Canonicals "partner" repository, which you should be able to enable somewhere in the settings for the Software Centre (or whatever it is called this week). Otherwise, you can add the repository using add-apt-repository in the terminal, or manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor and add the "partner" repo that way.

I was going to use some duckduckgo-fu to try and find the exact name of the partner repository to include here, but then I found this Ubuntu Skype tutorial instead, which looks like it contains all the info you need:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

3. If it's a given that each Linux OS that has Skype in its Repos may have slightly different version numbers down to the dotpoint releases, is/are there features I should be looking for that enhance the experience?

4. I do not confine myself to just Debian-based Distros, I also use RPM-sbased, Arch-based, Gentoo-based, and am girding my loins to adventure into the realms of Slackware and the Puppies before the end of the year (there, be dragons)
Again, I'm not a Skype user, so I can't help here either. There may be different versions of Skype in the repos of different distros, but I have no idea which one has the most up-to-date version of it. As it is 3rd party, proprietary software - I would hope that any current distros would track and ship the latest version in their repos and push-out updates as they are released.... But don't quote me on that! :/

BTW and what the frick is Nextcloud?
Nextcloud is a free-software fork of Owncloud, which is a suite of client/server software which can be used to provide "cloud storage" - So you could host your own owncloud/nextcloud instance on your own servers and run your own personal file-transfer/backup service - a la Dropbox, or manage calendars, or whatever else. I'm sure I just read that spreed.me is an application built on top of Nextcloud..... :/

You were right on the money, Jaskinasis, thank you. :)

I have so much about so many Distros going around in my head, that I forgot that Ubuntu has that "partnership" section in the settings for their Repos.

Checking it and exiting (after a reload update), and then

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install skype

... and I was in business ;)

I'll take a look at the other options over time, and thanks for the link.

I'll report back here if I have anything fruitful to add.

Wizard

@darry1966

Thanks heaps for that, I like the guy's style, and I will take a look at the options presented.

:)

Wizard

Wiz,
You mentioned dipping your toes into slackware (there be no dragons here, trust me:D:D), so I checked out the slackbuilds.org repository for options. In the network section I found the following:
pigin-skypeweb
skype for linux.

I do not use skype, I don't have a camera attached to any of my computers (actually I am so butt ugly they keep breaking, so I gave upo_O - nyuk nyuk!), But it is an option you might consider.

Happy trails,:)
Paul

Last edited:
Ta (Aussie for thank you, pronounced "tar") for that Paul, I'll look into those when I get slack.

butt ugly

... is that why your avatar is fuzzy? Sparing us?

Cheers

Wizard
BTW - I spare people by using a photo 10 years old.

Ta (Aussie for thank you, pronounced "tar") for that Paul, I'll look into those when I get slack.

... is that why your avatar is fuzzy? Sparing us?

Cheers

Wizard
BTW - I spare people by using a photo 10 years old.
Wiz,
Fuzzy, you say:D:D? I am just surprised that it came out at all. I cropped it from a much larger photo taken while I was living in Bermuda. Yeah, your avatar does look like a young whipper-snapper:p:p. Let me know when you decide to dive into Slack, and I will send you my notes, or perhaps I should post them on the Slackware thread I have been running. What do you think?

Happy trails,;)
Paul

Members online