Skype OpenmandrivaLX

torben

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,I
I am running a Acer Aspire E 17 and I am trying to install Skype on OpenMandriva LX via Firefox. Its OK untill I press Install. Then I am told that Skype cannot be installed due to problems with "libsecret" and I am given the option of continuing anyway. If I continue anyway the screen goes blank and I find no trace of an installation.

I have installed the following packages, but it makes no diff.:

libsecret-devel
libsecret-gir1
libsecret-tools
libsecret1_0

I have tried Google, but did'nt find any relevant help.
Can anyone help?
best regards
torben

Hello again @torben!

Skype is now owned by Microsoft... did you begin here? I think you need the RPM package for OpenMandriva. You should also follow their link and check for Linux system requirements... it says you need an Intel CPU, but I wonder if that is accurate. To check for SSE2 or SSE3, open a terminal and copy/paste these commands to see if either appears:

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse3

Cheers

Hi atanere,

Yes, I did start from Microsoft's page.

Here are the results of the cats:

[root@localhost torben]# cat /proc/cpuinfo ¦ grep sse2
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 78
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x9e
cpu MHz : 2758.447
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 22
wp : yes

bogomips : 4807.99
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 78
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x9e
cpu MHz : 2699.853
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 22
wp : yes

It appears that I have Intel.

Under systems requirement I find:

Version:

64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+
64-bit Debian 8.0+
64-bit OpenSUSE 13.3+
64-bit Fedora Linux 24+

OpenMandriva is'nt mentioned, but I have the processor they require and I have RPM. Apparently that is'nt enough.

Apparently Openmandriva is not highly regarded (or not regarded at all) in most places. I guess that I have to put Skype on another computer. I am sorry I have bothered you.
torben

You aren't bothering me... we're here to try to help. So far I have the same problem as you... I haven't got the libsecret dependency resolved yet. I will try a little more, but you may be correct too that OpenMandriva may not fall into the "supported" category for Skype. OpenMandriva is an "independent" Linux version... it uses RPM package management like RedHat and Fedora, but it is not based on them.

Although the following does not matter... I am very curious about your use of the Konsole to enter the commands above. I believe you edited out the flags section which is where the | grep sse2 would have succeeded. What is curious, though, is when you replied back to me, you showed this character ( ¦ ) placed before grep.... and this is not the same as this character ( | ).

Well, it's sort of the same character (what we call a "pipe" character). But when I copy/paste what you typed, it gives the output as you showed (except my flags were included).... what this means is that your Konsole did not recognize the pipe... because your output should have been different. The | grep sse3 would likely have failed and shown no output at all, and the | grep sse2 would have only shown you the flags that you omitted... perhaps, as on my computer, with the sse2 highlighted in the output.

As I said, this really does not matter to solving your problem. But the pipe ( | ) character is very helpful, and I had actually noticed with one of our earlier troubleshooting sessions (about wireless) that the output you gave us was not "grepped" properly to give the filtered response we were looking for.

My guess about all this is that you are not using a standard U.S. keyboard layout... do you know if that is true? That might explain the switch from ( | ) to ( ¦ ) even if you copied/pasted from my original. If so, it's just something to be aware of... there may be other characters also that could be affected, and this can create confusion when troubleshooting from the command line.

Sorry to go off on such a long tangent! But this bit of info may be helpful later. :confused::eek::D:D

Cheers

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Hi all ... I would skip the Microsoft connection, but that's just me. You can get v4.3.0.37 installed, if that is of interest to you?

pkgs.org is a good spot for such things.

https://pkgs.org/download/get-skype

Click OpenMandriva Lx 3.0

Note that the libsecret dependencies are not mentioned.

Go down to Downloads - Binary and download the x86_64.rpm .

In OM, go to Konsole terminal and enter first (as Root #)

Code:
urpmi.update -a

This will ensure your Repositories are all current. Then enter

Code:
urpmi get-skype

This fires up the installer you have just downloaded, kick back and watch about 180 packages install.

At the end, you are just returned to the prompt. Exit Konsole and go to Menu and type in Skype. You should have the icon for it appear, click that and get this

dhY3ZhB.png

Not sure if you have to remove first any of the stuff you have already installed.

If that is so, you might have to issue (note the 'e' instead of an 'i')

Code:
# urpme skype

Hope this works and

avagudweegend

Wizard

edited typo

And... THAT!... is why he's a Wizard (and I'm just a beer-guzzling Homer - D'oh!). :D

One word of followup to his instructions... when he says, "Go down to Downloads - Binary and download the x86_64.rpm.".... really scroll on down the page to the Binary download. There may be 2 or 3 big Download buttons clustered around the top of the page that try to deceive you into installing other programs.

When I ran the installer, I was prompted for one other dependency resolution, but it just involved selecting #1 or #2 and then it went on as Wizard described. Quite easy. (I chose the #1 option, but it probably does not matter.)

EDIT: I also got a PulseAudio error when I ran it as root, but that error did not appear when run as a regular user. That error doesn't show in Wizard's screenshot, so his setup may be different than mine.

EDIT #2: You may not see those deceptive big Download buttons if you are using an ad blocker. :D

Cheers

Hi atanere,
Concerning keyboard: I am using a 104 key Danish keyboard. But I can only arrive at 104 keys if I include the on/off button as a key. Is that OK?
But there is lot of confusion - not all the keys produce the expected result and some produce fx. Greek letters where no chracter is shown on the keyboard when Alt GR is used.

I can now produce the pipe character (although it does'nt show up on the keyboard): |

[root@localhost torben]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb intel_pt tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb intel_pt tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp

[root@localhost torben]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse3

The result surprises me a bit but is it correct?
torben

Yes, that is the output I expected. The Microsoft version of Skype said SSE2 or SSE3 was required, and buried inside those flags shows you do have "sse2." The ssse3 triggered by the other cat is not the same as sse3, but grep still passed it because it still matched the string (ssse3). Not sure if you noticed, but the output is really a repeating set of 4 flags... because you have a quad-core CPU and it is reporting for each core. Mine does this too.

Okay on the Danish keyboard... and your success in finding the pipe ( | ) character. It's just good to realize that there are some differences, and hopefully you can adapt as needed if any other characters seem to misprint when issuing Linux commands.

I'll hold off pursuing the libsecret dependency issue for now... as I expect you will follow @wizardfromoz's advice and install the older version of Skype as a solution to your needs if you want to use it with OpenMandriva. I am not a Skype user, so I did not test it in action, but the installation went just as he described.

Cheers

Hi atarena and wizardfromoz,
Being a couple of a beer-guzzling Homer and a wizard, you are giving pretty good advice!
Now I just have to arrange for my access.
I could'nt find the libsecret packages in the control centre, but I guess they must be somewhere. I will just leave it at that.
Thank you very much.
torben

Members online