Site not secure

fixit7

Reaction score
Credits
I am using FF 65.0. It has an icon in the beginning of the address bar that shows this. I have also seen on other Linux sites. I know this site is safe, but am curious as to why FF does not think so.

upload_2019-3-6_9-12-26.png

G'day @fixit7 :)

I use that Firefox version on many of my 80 Distros and have no problems. It may be the settings of your FF, or it may be based with your ISP.

We had a rare site compromise a few months ago, which was remedied within hours, and it is possible that a blacklist by your ISP has not been updated, but that is only a guess.

I take it you are using an Ubuntu, but I am moving this Thread to Forum Assistance, where our Admin, @Rob may have further input.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You're connecting to this site using httpS. The S is for secure tunneling. Firefox is saying that not everything in your packets being sent to and from the site are secure. So if someone were sniffing packets and capturing yours they may be able to see what you are sending and receiving from this site. With sites like this, it's not terribly important, except while you're logging in. Sites where it IS important are like your online banking.

Last edited:
We're going through cloudflare, which in our setup utilizes their SSL which then connects to our site also on our SSL.. after seeing your post I did go through to ensure everything's up to date.. on our side i'm using letsencrypt, so we're kept on our toes to ensure we're renewing it every 90 days, but everything looked good.

Also, when in doubt, you can check with a site like "whynopadlock.com" which gives extra info..

Always good to have a double-check going on IMO..

I am using FF 65.0. It has an icon in the beginning of the address bar that shows this. I have also seen on other Linux sites. I know this site is safe, but am curious as to why FF does not think so.

As Firefox indicates, I think the issue is images on the page. @Condobloke has an image in his signature in the thread shown by your screenshot, and @wizardfromoz has an image in his signature on this thread now... and both of their images are stored on imgur.com instead of on linux.org. If you browse around the site and find threads without such "offsite images" I think you'll find the Firefox icon to show the page as secure.

Cheers

I concur with atanere. Wizard and Condobloke are breaking it ;). When you go to the homepage, https://www.linux.org, you'll see that it's marked completely safe and verified by Cloudfare. I just went into https://www.linux.org/threads/cups-problems.22404/ and the only post is from the OP and it's marked safe. Any of the thread where Wizard and Condobloke reply get marked paritally safe. It has to be their signatures.

:(:(

Yeah, that's right, pick on us Senior Citizens

b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

Avagudweegend all, and Hi, Stan (@atanere )

Wizard

BTW - Geez, that's gonna make just about every Thread "partially safe", because I'm like the Scarlet Pimpernel - I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere.

Wiz

This from Firefox (in part)

2015-10-21-18-54-26-fe01d6.png
: A grey lock with an orange triangle indicates that Firefox is not blocking insecure passive content, such as images. By default, Firefox does not block mixed passive content; you will simply see a warning that the page isn't fully secure. Attackers may be able to manipulate parts of the page, for example, by displaying misleading or inappropriate content, but they should not be able to steal your personal data from the site.

My highlighting.

Do I need to worry about this, Rob? I am quite fond of my little Wizard typing away like a demon.

BTW I like the new avatar, @fixit7 :)

Wizard

Hi Chris, and all. Signatures do not allow an image to be uploaded, but I think I have a work-around for this, if you want to do these steps. I created a new thread which you can use (or feel free to delete) to test it yourself. In a thread post, you can upload an image so that it is stored on linux.org. So you can upload your wizard-typing image in a reply to my new thread, after downloading from imgur.com. Then right-click on your wizard image and choose "View Image." Copy that URL and paste it into the URL input box in the Signature controls. Presto! (No magic needed.) :D

This should fix the complaints from Firefox then on all of your posts system-wide. Not everyone will follow these instructions, so the Firefox report for being partially insecure will still come up sometimes. But you and Brian are quite active, so if you two do this it definitely will correct the Firefox error on a lot of pages.

Cheers

Thanks Stan ... a veritable fountain of knowledge, as always :)

I'll give it a shot.

Wiz

"Ah, retirement.... very soon. :D" ... 3 months and 18 days, Australian reckoning ... Brian and I will start celebrating, Aussie 26th June and you can play catch up ;)

"Ah, retirement.... very soon. :D" ... 3 months and 18 days, Australian reckoning ... Brian and I will start celebrating, Aussie 26th June and you can play catch up ;)

I've checked with my boss... they won't let me switch to Aussie time, dammit! :eek::D But the time is flying by, even though I'm attending to it like boiling water. You should see my spreadsheet countdown calculators! LOL :D:D

Cheers

Members online