side channel mitigations

thejus

Reaction score
Credits
hey... i just downloaded kali linux vmware and when i try to start its showing "side channel mitigations". What should i do

Hi. may i ask is this your first time of using both linux and Kali ? as Kali is not really suitable for a newcomer, a fair amount of experience is required to set it up correctly [Kali is one of the two distributions we have the most problem questions when setting up] I dont know if @f33dm3bits is about, he may have some better ideas..

Bwiz

Hi. may i ask is this your first time of using both linux and Kali ? as Kali is not really suitable for a newcomer, a fair amount of experience is required to set it up correctly [Kali is one of the two distributions we have the most problem questions when setting up] I dont know if @f33dm3bits is about, he may have some better ideas..

Bwiz

thank you sir.. this is how it looks
2021-10-07.png

sorry I don't have a VM, so my response is limited..
side channel mitigation is an inbuilt security protocol, why would you disable it?do you really need the extra speed ?
Now I will make the assumption you are using Windows 10 as the main operating system, if so you will need this link [ https://windowsloop.com/disable-side-channel-mitigation-in-vmware/]
that's as far as I can go as I havent run windows for over 20 years

good luck in your quest

sorry I don't have a VM, so my response is limited..
side channel mitigation is an inbuilt security protocol, why would you disable it?do you really need the extra speed ?
Now I will make the assumption you are using Windows 10 as the main operating system, if so you will need this link [ https://windowsloop.com/disable-side-channel-mitigation-in-vmware/]
that's as far as I can go as I havent run windows for over 20 years

good luck in your quest
sir this is for vmware workstation which is paid softwre iam using vmware workstation player in which there is no advanced setting:confused:

If you follow the link in the message of your screenshot it literally tells you how to disable "Side Channel Mitigations" if you want to disable it.
If you experience that the vm is slower than you would expect than disable it and see if it is an improvement.

sir there is no advanced settings in vmware workstation player
I don't know anything about vmware player but if it's similar to vmware esx it should be a setting somewhere in your vm settings, you just have to search for it. If you can't find it create a topic in the vmware community forums because vmware is not Linux and the other option is just to check "Do not show this again", click "OK" and run the vm as is with the "Side Channel Migitations" enabled. A mitigation is a work around fix for a vulnerability and some mitigations can cause software or hardware to lose performance. So if you can't find it just leave it enabled and if you find the vm reacting slow you can always try finding the setting later to disable it then.

Suggestion: Switch to VirtualBox. All the features are there, there's no features only available if you pay for the product.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts