Side by Side Linux

A

Adam H.

After hearing about potential issues from running Linux side by side with Windows 8 on my desktop, I have thought about putting Linux on my Windows 7 laptop. Is it possible to have it give me an option between Linux and Windows on boot, and are there any issues? Also would I need more than one hard drive? Comments are appreciated, thanks :D

If you retain your Windows partition when installing Linux making sure you choose install beside windows - this is where Ubuntu's installer is very good because it will guide you through partitioning etc allowing you to have both installed.

If you ever choose to go the whole hog then back up all your data to an external hard drive which you should do anyway to back up your data before venturing down any installation path as you want to obviously retain and protect your data.

Remember take your time do your research by watching online stuff on youtube and be happy you know what to do.

If you retain your Windows partition when installing Linux making sure you choose install beside windows - this is where Ubuntu's installer is very good because it will guide you through partitioning etc allowing you to have both installed.

If you ever choose to go the whole hog then back up all your data to an external hard drive which you should do anyway to back up your data before venturing down any installation path as you want to obviously retain and protect your data.

Remember take your time do your research by watching online stuff on youtube and be happy you know what to do.
Thanks, I should definitely start looking more into it. ( Chromebooks are cheap, maybe I should just get one and install Linux on it. )

I've been running Linux and Windows "side by side" for years. No issues. Laptop or desktop. I currently boot Fedora and Windows 7 on both machines, along with several other Linux distros. Create a plan, backup critical data and go forth.

Members online