Should I install updates?

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Starting to get a little braver, so I clicked on the Update Manager icon in the lower right hand corner. Got the update and what do you know? The system wants to install 90(!) upgrades! Should I do this????

Should I do this????

Yep.

:):)

I could write a couple of paragraphs of greater detail, but the bottom line would still be

Yep.

If you like watching output spool down the screen, run it from Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

It will pause to ask you if you want to accept/allow the changes and you will type in y for yes or can just press Enter, it is the default.

There will be a kernel upgrade included (every 4 - 6 weeks currently) which will prompt a regeneration of your grub configuration file, that's OK.

Any questions, send them our way :D

Wiz

Should I do this????
I quite agree with the Wiz from down under in regards to this question.:) A reason that I need to get Goldie online through mint, :eek:so I can upgrade and install codecs to run my media programs.
Good to see you getting braver in doing things. :D

Here's another "Yep" vote from me too.

You only had a lot of updates to do because it was your first time after installing. The Update Manager will let you know almost every day, sometimes more than once per day, that you have updates available. But by being so frequent, there will be few. And they will download and install very quickly. Keeping up to date is one of your best security measures to protect your system.

Oh, and you RARELY need to reboot after Linux updates. +1 for Linux vs Windows. :cool::p:D

I installed all the updates, but then I got the response in the screenshot. Is there something I should do to correct this?

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-11-04 15-30-44.png
    Screenshot at 2019-11-04 15-30-44.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 550
Either the needed website was down temporarily, or you might have had a hiccup with your own internet connection. You can try again later.

Or, how about the command line? Now that you've cut those fingernails, we should make it worth something! :eek:o_O:D

Run these two commands, one after another:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

And hopefully... no errors!

OK, here goes...
Ran the lines, the system gave me an option to see the list. I did that. So now what do I do to install them?

oh, I just hovered over the update icon and it says installing updates. But I don't have that sreen I had last time that showed them being installed.

Last edited:
That Cavalry from Indiana (Stan) is quick, I was poised to answer. :)

I'm on standby with more ideas, just gonna have a cuppa with me girl.

Wiz

That Cavalry from Indiana (Stan) is quick, I was poised to answer. :)

I'm on standby with more ideas, just gonna have a cuppa with me girl.

Wiz
I just got a cuppa, myself!

ok, here is what happened after I ran the 2 command lines:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
14 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
susan@Compaq:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
firefox/tina 70.0.1+linuxmint1+tina amd64 [upgradable from: 68.0.1+linuxmint1+tina]
firefox-locale-en/tina 70.0.1+linuxmint1+tina amd64 [upgradable from: 68.0.1+linuxmint1+tina]
flatpak/bionic-updates 1.0.9-0ubuntu0.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.0.8-0ubuntu0.18.04.1]
gir1.2-flatpak-1.0/bionic-updates 1.0.9-0ubuntu0.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.0.8-0ubuntu0.18.04.1]
gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0/bionic-updates 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.2 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.1]
initramfs-tools/bionic-updates,bionic-updates 0.130ubuntu3.9 all [upgradable from: 0.130ubuntu3.8]
initramfs-to

now what do I do?

I have got to write more clearly! o_O:D

Run sudo apt update first, and then wait until you get your prompt back.

Then run sudo apt upgrade.

I hope. I'm going for the scotch! :eek:o_O:p:D

Yes, I did what you just said. But here's an update. I closed that error message the Update Manager gave me and now the UM is giving me more updates to run including those listed above. I'm going to make an execiutive decision here and run and install them.

Granny if you get a chance just press the Refresh button

I hope. I'm going for the scotch! :eek:o_O:p:D
You want scotch, I want ice cream. I'm having to settle for yogurt and bananas covered in hot fudge sauce. :rolleyes:

That's not too bad for a substitution. I like beer, but it's a sorry substitute for scotch! :p:D

How's that for pretty? Sorry, atanere, you won't need that scotch, after all. But you're right, beer is a sorry substitution.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-11-04 22-02-50.png
    Screenshot at 2019-11-04 22-02-50.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 574

Members online

Latest posts