Should I get linux for looks?

Cixoea

Reaction score
Credits
i saw a picture of this guys files and it just looked different, cooler, and I dont know much about what operating systems are and i google stuff about linux and its stuff about coding and phrases I do not know anything about. Do I have to code stuff? Can I not just download linux and get a cooler looking everything and thats it?

There are many point and click distributions, but you will need to use the terminal at some point for installing drivers and for maintenance, but nothing too Heavy
some distributions, suitable for beginners with point and click GUI. There are several others.
any of the Ubuntu family
any of the Mint family
MX-linux
Linux-lite
Peppermint
Note pen-testing [hacking] distributions are not suitable for the beginner, you need to be competent in using Linux and proficient in using the terminal

G'day Cixoea, Welcome to Linux.org

hey, any time you get a chance......have another look at your mates computer.

See if you can find out exactly which Linux he is running.

(if you click on menu in the bottom left hand corner, and type in Welcome..... or System Info.....either one should tell you what the operating system is.)

OR.....you could just ask him !

You're going to need more motivation than just wanting cool looks to switch over from Windows to a Linux distribution.
(if you click on menu in the bottom left hand corner, and type in Welcome..... or System Info.....either one should tell you what the operating system is.)

OR.....you could just ask him !
Almighty Tux please let it not be Kali.

You become cool by learning and advancing your knowledge. ;)

Switch to Linux because you want want to learn a different OS and advance your knowledge.

@Cixoea :-

Simply wanting "different looks" is not really a good enough reason in itself to make the switch. After all, theming is, to a greater or lesser degree, available across all platforms.

However; THIS might pique your interest. It's a video demo - from a guy called Philip J. Bugsington - of the "full Monty", utilising a KDE desktop, Compiz Fusion, the Cairo 'dock', "wobbly windows", the legendary 'desktop cube'.....the "works".

Linux was capable of doing ALL this almost 20 years ago.....long before Redmond even thought about multiple workspaces..! (Okay, the back-room boys'n'girls did develop a "PowerToys" multi-desktop pager widget for XP, but that's all it ever was.....and it didn't work very well).

Looks-wise, Linux has been able to leave M$ in the dust for decades. Many of the effects shown above are no longer available (I don't think it's been actively developed for years; most references on the Compiz site seem to date to around 2009). About the only currently-available distro I know of that even has SOME of them, OOTB, is Knoppix......the original 'run-from-a-flashdrive-with-persistence' Linux OS. And much of that seems to be some years out-of-date.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Hello @Cixoea,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
You can make linux look almost anyway you want. and no you do not have to code unless you choose too.
However that being said. The terminal can be a great help in getting things done fast.
In any event enjoy the journey!

What are you running on your computer now? Windows? Mac?

If you want "cool looks", there are many apps for Windows and Mac that let you change the look of files, folders, the desktop, the menu bar, and more. It would be much easier for you to find the right apps and change the looks of your current computer.

Linux will change the looks, but so many other parts of Linux will work differently than what you have now. That's okay and it is good to learn new things, but it will take time and effort to learn them, so think about that.

-> Tell us a little more about yourself, what kind of computer(s) you have, and what you like to do with them. Maybe then people could help you make the best choices, and possibly help you see how Linux would (or would not) work for you.

That'd be about the worst reason to switch to Linux I could think of...

So, I say go for it!

Do I have to code stuff? Can I not just download linux and get a cooler looking everything and thats it?

1. No
2. Yes you can download a Distro but if you're doing it to get a cool Desktop then you'll get a big surprise because Linux isn't like that other OS.
m1204.gif

Members online