Should I get a new one now or wait later?

J

Jamsers

I was thinking of buying a new laptop, one that would allow me to do some gaming and ensure smooth web browsing. My current laptop is a weak 1 Ghz netbook that my parents gave me for Christmas, and it can't do anything beyond browsing the internet and watching some videos. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 right now because later versions of Ubuntu with the Unity interface are too slow on my netbook. But I'd like to be able to try the latest distros. I'm especially interested in Gnome 3.

I am really interested in buying an Aspire 4750G, but I'm worried that a new upcoming family of technology will make this laptop obsolete the moment I buy it. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to buy this laptop or should I wait a few more months to get a newer, faster, less likely to become obsolete immediately laptop? Would it be worth the wait to hold out until later?

I don't know the price or specs of that acer but have you looked at alienware gaming laptops? At least check their specs so that when you configure something you know you're at the latest components.

I'm not too into laptops but I know that for about 1g you can put together a desktop that current game manufacturers can't even take advantage of all the components yet. Like 6 cores and so on.

Another option is selecting your components manually and putting it all together manually from like newegg, then if things change in another year or so you can upgrade whatever component you see fit.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

You can always wait for better time, just buy a devices that satisfies you.
You should be take first a look about the Linux Hardware support for your Laptop.

Alienware laptops aren't really a choice for me, they're just too expensive. :p My budget is actually quite low, 600 dollars is the most I can spend for any laptop, and that's why I'm wondering: for 600 dollars, will the Aspire 4750G last me long enough? Or should I wait for something better that might show up and give me more bang per buck? In case you guys didn't know, here are its specs (sorry for not posting this in the first place):

Processor: Intel Core i3-2310M
RAM: 2 GB DDR3
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Storage: 500 GB hard disk

And of course a DVD drive and other standard features. Oh, and I forgot, it has one USB 3 slot.

Take a look about system76. They offering good prices Linux Laptops, so you don't have to worrie about the driver problem and still can get a cheap good Laptop.

just bought awhile ago an Acer Aspire 4750G
now it comes with Intel i5 2410M and Nividia 540m 2Gb.P30,900 0 % 12 mos. sa Acer store sa SM.
freebies logitech mouse and acer bag, can't give any personal reviews yet as i'm still in the process of installing an OS.

If you think you can do without a new laptop for the next few months and keep doing what you are doing , I think you will be happier in the long rune. That's just my opinion.

I think that acer it is just the perfect choice. Make an effort and upgrade your ram to 3gb I recommend opensuse 12.1 . It comes with gnome 3 . Hope helps

I wouldn't get anything with a Core i3; I consider a Core i5 to be the minimum. The i5 is quad core, the i3 isn't. The i5 has Turbo Boost, the i3 doesn't.

Also, it's worth noting that the Ivy Bridge processors (3rd generation) are rolling out in the next few months, so you can expect the Sandy Bridge (2nd generation) machines to come down in price soon. You're likely to get a lot more bang for your buck in another month or two.