Shell Scripting Projects for Beginners

champ885

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys,

Any tips or where I can get some hands-on practice on some shell scripting projects for beginners?

Thanks

If you have already run through some basic courses on scripting I would recommend looking for a BASH cookbook. Best of luck

I found one at the link below. In the US most libraries are online. I don't know where you are at but you may also be able to get a book like this that way. I would look for the most recent one you can find. For the most part Bash has not changed much but there have been some changes over time that you may run into if you are using a device with an older OS.

[URL removed by moderator. EBook piracy is still piracy. The Linux.org can't be associated with that.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Any tips or where I can get some hands-on practice on some shell scripting projects for beginners?

Thanks
If you installed and ran Slackware Linux then you could get plenty of practice playing with SlackBuilds which are scripts to create a Slackware installable pkg from a Source . Users maintain those scripts at Slackbuilds.org Probably best to wait though for a new stable release 15

If you have already run through some basic courses on scripting I would recommend looking for a BASH cookbook.
Good idea, still working on getting better at bash myself but never thought about buying a cookbook since I can find my way around bash good enough. Just ordered the second edition on amazon!

I found "The Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" from tdlp.org (the linux document project) very good. Although it sounds like it's "advanced", it actually "assumes no previous knowledge of scripting or programming but progresses rapidly towards an intermediate/advanced level of instruction". That's a quote from its first page. It's downloadable as a pdf from tdlp.org.

Latest posts