share folders on 2 Linux pc's

johnsonb

Reaction score
Credits
I am having quite the time trying to share a folder between two Linux boxes (Mint 64-bit). On both PC's I have Samba installed and via Nemo I set Share on the Public folder on the server. I cannot see the Public folder on the 2nd PC. According to web sites I have read this should be easy.

Purely for ease of installation I'd prefer not to use NFS.

thanks

Please don't make duplicate posts. If you haven't gotten a response to your first one, it may be because no one that has read it yet knows the answer or because the people that know the answer just haven't read it yet. Be patient. If after a day or 2 no one has responded you can reply to your own post. This will move it back up to the number 1 spot so people who may have missed it will see it.

Since I already replied to your other post, all future replys should be to it as well. This one should be flaged by @wizardfromoz and deleted.

Other post = https://www.linux.org/threads/folder-share-linux-linux.28781/

Purely for ease of installation I'd prefer not to use NFS.

Hmm... nfs is MUCH easier to setup than samba.
nfs is a native linux application.
samba is not. It is a windows emulator.

In order to see the folder with samba, you will also have to setup
ldap, active directory and create user accounts and permissions for this.
also you will have to create an active directory doman and add the client computer to this domain.
(not a trivial exercise).

You can share an NFS drive with two commands on the server
and two commands on the client.

Sorry for the duplicate, I honestly did not know did it twice.

thanks

You should be able to edit the smb.conf file, you don't need an active directory domain even though they are fun to play with.

Also I wanted to add that on some of my Linux systems my smb folders don't show up by default so in the file system or I just right click the desktop and add a create new link to location and type smb://yoursharedipaddress.

This one should be flaged by @wizardfromoz and deleted.

... or arochester or rob, i ain't the only staffer around these parts, TJ :)

i have locked the other thread for now as this one is getting responses - i may move TJ's response from the other one here once i have digested it.

more coffee - 7:30 am here

wizard :)

Also I wanted to add that on some of my Linux systems my smb folders don't show up by default so in the file system or I just right click the desktop and add a create new link to location and type smb://yoursharedipaddress.
Hi I tried the desktop method and I got create a new launcher. I tried that and I could not save it with smb://address it wants another command.

thanks

Members online

Latest posts