Sewing pattern software

Phylly

Reaction score
Credits
I not sure where to post this, and I did try searching the forums, but nothing came up for the search terms I used. I'm trying to find out if there is a Linux or other open software program or something for designing sewing patterns -- something that will let me design my own sewing patterns. Am currently using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. Does anyone know of such? Thanks.

Hi Phylly,

Google found a couple of possibilities. This one may help, but it doesn't look like it is actually software for you to install. Valentina looks more like what you may want. Here is a YouTube video about Valentina, but I didn't watch it so I'm not sure of it's usefulness.

Some Windows sewing software may run using the Wine application in Linux, but this can be hit or miss and is sometimes difficult to set up, or may not work properly. Another possibility is to adapt CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) software for sewing patterns... it seems like a natural fit, but that doesn't mean it would be easy or simple to do. Here is one more example: http://www.sodacad.org/p/about.html?m=1

There probably are not many "sewing people" here to help you figure out the software once you find something though.

Good luck!

I'm not a sewing person, myself. But from a quick bit of duckduckgo fu I just found this website:
https://freesewing.org/

I haven't been able to take a proper look at the site, because it requires signing up for a free account - which is something I have no interest in. But once you are logged-in, it looks as if you can start designing your patterns online via your browser.

I don't know how much control you have over the pattern - but from what I've read, it sounds as if they have a lot of different patterns for different types of clothes and you just enter various measurements in order to create a customised pattern that will fit your needs.

The entire website appears to be 100% Free/libre/open source too - so it should be possible to extend their collection of patterns too.

As it is free, it might be worth signing up and taking a look! It may fit your needs exactly. And even if it doesn't, the community there would be better placed to recommend other free-software to assist with pattern making.

Last edited:
That said - it looks as if stan got in there first. I didn't think to check the links in his post! His first link is a link to freesewing.org! :/ And Valentina also looks promising. Between those two, the OP should be pretty much sorted. So hats off to Stan for this one!

You have to install Valentina from a "PPA" with Linux Mint. The YouTube video I referenced above shows these steps. There are a number of other Valentina videos you'll also find on YouTube that may also be helpful. Good luck!

Cheers

You have to install Valentina from a "PPA" with Linux Mint. The YouTube video I referenced above shows these steps. There are a number of other Valentina videos you'll also find on YouTube that may also be helpful. Good luck!

Cheers

Phylly,

There was a major fork which split from the Valentina project and there is a maintained program called Seamly2D that provides good functionality if you are looking for a program to draft patterns according to individual measurements. You can see the link at seamly.net There are downloads for the windows and mac versions. If you click on ubuntu, you will be redirected to the ppa description on https://launchpad.net/~susan-spencer/+archive/ubuntu/seamly2d If you encounter issues installing from this ppa on your Linux Mint system, you can request help at forum.seamly.net and there are people, including me, who will help you figure this out.

There are also lots of friendly people who will answer questions about how to use the software

Staff online

Members online