setting up scanner (all in one hp print/scan)

jass123

Reaction score
Credits
I tried the xsane gui app, but it did not recognize through usb ? I want to be able to scan stuff directly into computer, for various home/work purposeses ?

anyone can do this without using windows driver ? It is too crap, the windows driver..

Hello @jass123,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums.
Which distro are you using? It makes a difference how you install the printer/scanner.
Most Distros offer hplip & hplip-gui which install the printer and a program such as simple-scan should doing the scanning ok.
I have an hp all in one that work fine. You should not need any Windows drivers on Linux. also what model hp printer are you using?

Last edited:
In Ubuntu you should already have the printer installed automatically. If not I recommend you install hplip-gui
In a terminal this command
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install hplip-gui.
once installed look for hp toolbox in the menu (or it may be call hp print manager)
I don't remember in ubuntu what the scaning program is but simple-scan should work for you.
Do a search for simple scan in the menu if not there do a search in the software center for it. and install it.
Good luck.

If its a HP ink jet printer, then it will require the Linux cups drivers in the kernel, these should install automatically when you connect the printer and switch on, on touch scanning should also work from the printer buttons, and as @kc1di said for other remote scanning use Simple scan.
If you have installed drivers from outside the distribution, I suggest you remove them completely, as the could cause conflicts with the Linux drivers, then connect the printer [preferably by cable] and switch the printer on, and the installer should pick it up and install the drivers for the printer, you don't need HTLP, but it is useful and should be installed from the repository after installing the printer

edit
sane [or xsane] drivers are not normally needed for HP printers and scanners they are used mainly by photographic equipment and a lot of Cannon printers

Last edited: