Setting up Remote /home directories

Tihsho

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I just had a question that I hope the community will be able to answer. I'm trying to build a redundant machine that contains the /home directories of each of the users that will have access to the small network. Without using LDAP, I'm trying to share the /home of say user1 and user2 to two machines which live on the same network. Is there any tutorials anyone could refer me to on how to set this up? The beefy machine I'm currently using is attached to a SCSI disk array, so based on the hardware redundancy, I'd like to keep the users data safe.

I'm trying to share the /home of say user1 and user2 to two machines which live on the same network.

Hi @Tihsho, and welcome! In general, if user1 opens a file in his /home/user1/ folder... he can only open one copy of that file at a time. Maintaining another copy on another machine on your network is a matter of backup and/or synchronization. At least that's how I'm seeing it. This link shows many options and may give you some good ideas to work with.

Cheers

I'm not looking to synchronize it per se. I just want to allow user1 to login to machine1 (that has no local /home for said user) and machine1 authenticates to the NAS where user1's /home is located.

Based on the fact I have 3 machines total (two workstation machines and a server controlling a disk array) I don't see a point of setting up a LDAP/SLDAP for authentication. Unless that is, I have no other choice.

Latest posts