Setting up multi boot of 4 linux and Windows 10

walnut

Reaction score
Credits
Good day Linux experts, i would like to ask your help for this installation. I'm new in linux and planning to use my laptop to install: Thank You
1. Fedora
2. Ubuntu
3. CentOS
4. Kali
5 Windows 10

good day Walnut and welcome to L.O

ok the HD is blank then ? basics are install Windows FIRST .we need info from you whats the size of the HD and type. Then we are going to have to find out whether it will be using firmware uefi or mbr . you are going to need a usb stick . in fact full psecs would be good

i'm assuming you have another PC desktop or something or is there something on your laptop ? you can use Windows to put .iso onto usb; you can use linux to put .iso onto usb, but with no OS on laptop and no access to other pc ...?

Last edited:
I'd bank on UEFI, Andy - Windows 10's preferred environment, although Stan said that you can run it on MBR.

Welcome to linux.org walnut ;)

If you are not wedded to the idea of the Death Goddess, Kali, and are a Linux newbie, I would gain experience with the others for 6 months to a year before installing. The others can all have many of Kali's Pen Testing tools installed on them.

Spill your guts and tell us more, along the lines of what Andy asked for - better more info than too little.

Friday in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

good day Walnut and welcome to L.O

ok the HD is blank then ? basics are install Windows FIRST .we need info from you whats the size of the HD and type. Then we are going to have to find out whether it will be using firmware uefi or mbr . you are going to need a usb stick . in fact full psecs would be good

i'm assuming you have another PC desktop or something or is there something on your laptop ? you can use Windows to put .iso onto usb; you can use linux to put .iso onto usb, but with no OS on laptop and no access to other pc ...?

It has 1tb HDD and currently running windows os(which i will format). What are the partion for each? and sequence? Thanks in advance

It has 1tb HDD and currently running windows os(which i will format). What are the partion for each? and sequence? Thanks in advance
It has been my experience that installing multiple Linux Distros on one HDD is a piece of cake.
Keep in mind that each installation will likely want to "take over" the boot loader.
It may be easier to let each subsequent distro have control of the boot loader.
I think @wizardfromoz may have tried this and have some experience at it :)
As @captain-sensible said, you will want Windows to be installed prior to installing any Linux distros. But as you already have Win 10 installed then your next step would be to 'partition' the drive.
I would use GParted from a "Live" Linux USB to make my partitions.
If you are using UEFI and GPT then creating numerous (4,5,6, etc.) partitions should not be a problem.
You will need an EFI boot partition but that should already be there (and hopefully large enough).
I haven't installed Fedora or CentOS in quite some time and have never installed Kali so I don't know if they require a "Swap" partition. Some newer Linux distros do not require a separate Swap partition. You will want to check into that.
So, carve up your hard drive into as many partitions as you want, format them in the "ext4" format for Linux, and then start installing!
After each install I would "reboot" to check that everything is working as expected.

I think @wizardfromoz may have tried this and have some experience at it :)

A little. ;)

I'll take a look in on this thread on my tomorrow, and ask a few penetrating questions.

Cheers and out

Wiz

in the meantime if you have Windows you can do a clean up ; from menu somewhere run defrag . Also you can start looking into different tools of getting linux iso on usb stick and maybe try booting up live. From that live os you can use gparted to see partition as is now; you can use it to take a screenshot and post here etc . Also tools for getting specs.

iso to usb tools using windows include :
ventoy
rufus ...
etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Members online

Latest posts