Setting up Debian 10 on Windows 10

carlarogers

Reaction score
Credits
I have been running Debian as a virtual system on a mac for years, through several versions., using VMWare Fusion on MacOS.

Now I need to setup Debian 10 on Windows 10 at my home. Last I checked, there were only a few huypevisors I needed to consider. Ircall VirtualBox and other that was free. I think Plesk has something. I assume VMWare has a product niched into this requirement. Can you please provide a recommendation or two so I can get going without wasting time or picking something stupid as a result of my ignorance in running Linux on Windows

Any information you can provide will be appreciated immensely.

If you have windows 10 pro, you can consider enabling the hyper v feature.
Its free, allready embedded in windows 10 and works fine for me.

I have 100% given up on running Windows System for Linux (WSL). I made that decision the moment I discovered that Debian installed through the Windows store does not include systemctl There were many other hassles, but that one took the cake. "Oh it is just like normal debian except no system control utility. wha?

When I saw that, I just shook my head and was reminded of all the agony in Windows that used to be part of my life on a daily basis.

G'day @carlarogers :)

There is also QEMU which is open source and cross-platform - Mac, Windows, Linux and BSD.

I have not used it, but I believe that my friend @f33dm3bits does, and by my mentioning his userid, I have alerted him, so he may have some input.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @carlarogers :)

There is also QEMU which is open source and cross-platform - Mac, Windows, Linux and BSD.

I have not used it, but I believe that my friend @f33dm3bits does, and by my mentioning his userid, I have alerted him, so he may have some input.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I have experience with QEMU/KVM under Linux but not under Windows. The advantage of QEMU/KVM under Linux is that is used as a kernel module allowing close to native performance of the vm's. I have no idea though if it runs under MacOS, I would suspect that it does since MacOS is based off BSD. Although I would think that most average users will find QEMU/KVM more complicated than something like virtualbox, I would give it a try and see what you think so you at least give it a chance. For my home lab I have QEMU/KVM setup and I use virt-manager to operate it, it's a front-end to the command-line commands you can also use to operate QEMU/KVM with.

Someday, a critical requirement likely will arise for running linux on a Windows machine. Till then, making linux run on Windows is a can kicked off a cliff, from which my back is turned and progressing forward means I won't be back to the linux on Windows if I can avoid it. Nothing is worth the hassle of connecting Windows to anything it handles as a foreign entity.

If I had to get this working, I would let Virtual have a crack at it. Microsoft's build of Debian or any other Linux? FOR

GET

IT

Meanwhile, Debian on MacOS with VMware Fusion (Mac-specific hypervisor) is a very friendly world for me.

p.s. (This is important). The brief return to WindowsLand, where documentation said in effect "This is regular normal Debian, just install it from the Micosoft Store in Windows 10."

first there was a hassle with ip assigned to the VM was the same as the ip for the Windows machine. I am sure that is fine and dandy, and I am just narrow minded to being accustomed to running separate IPs for the host and guest machines, sooooo ... being the open minded computer programmer of the world, I was digging to making the webserver accessible from another machine on our lan, when I discovered systemctl is not only not included in the "regular normal Debian", it took about 15 seconds to learn that there is no way to install it , ... and there is no equivalent utility, so said the author of the documentation that told me to expect this Debian to be so close to native, the only difference I might notice is agony avoided thanks to engineers at Microsoft.

Here is the important part. This verified my suspicion, it is no coincidence that Bill Gates explaining vaccines and virology seems exactly like the way he would explain Windows and ActiveX and OLE DB and all kinds of other snap-together elements that matured into what became the universe of DLL HELL where you on your own to manage versions of binaries without benefit of version control or source code. So now, Gates has his nose stuck into snapping together RNA here and DNA there to make a vaccine....

and there is no effing way that stuff is going into the body of anyone I love or care about if I can do anything to stop it. I hope you feel the same way. That parallel of Gates leading the build of Windows to Gates leading the build of vaccines is a powerful, valid thing to notice. If you saw Gates back in the 90s when he was peddling Windows as it was being developed, you know what I am taking about.

I have experience with QEMU/KVM under Linux but not under Windows. The advantage of QEMU/KVM under Linux is that is used as a kernel module allowing close to native performance of the vm's. I have no idea though if it runs under MacOS, I would suspect that it does since MacOS is based off BSD. Although I would think that most average users will find QEMU/KVM more complicated than something like virtualbox, I would give it a try and see what you think so you at least give it a chance. For my home lab I have QEMU/KVM setup and I use virt-manager to operate it, it's a front-end to the command-line commands you can also use to operate QEMU/KVM with.
This sounds like a legitimate path. Thank you for passing along you experience with this.

#8 ? Nice rant, Carla :)

Good luck with the QEMU and let us know how you go.

Wizard

Members online