Setting up Debian 10 on Windows 10

carlarogers

Credits
I have been running Debian as a virtual system on a mac for years, through several versions., using VMWare Fusion on MacOS.

Now I need to setup Debian 10 on Windows 10 at my home. Last I checked, there were only a few huypevisors I needed to consider. Ircall VirtualBox and other that was free. I think Plesk has something. I assume VMWare has a product niched into this requirement. Can you please provide a recommendation or two so I can get going without wasting time or picking something stupid as a result of my ignorance in running Linux on Windows

Any information you can provide will be appreciated immensely.

KGIII

Credits
Just install VirtualBox and it's REALLY intuitive for a basic install. Set it up with a few clicks, make sure to boot to the ISO, and install. It's best, I've found, to assign plenty of disk space at the start, rather than relying on it to dynamically increase it as needed.

Malvada

Credits
If you have windows 10 pro, you can consider enabling the hyper v feature.
Its free, allready embedded in windows 10 and works fine for me.

carlarogers

Credits
I have 100% given up on running Windows System for Linux (WSL). I made that decision the moment I discovered that Debian installed through the Windows store does not include systemctl There were many other hassles, but that one took the cake. "Oh it is just like normal debian except no system control utility. wha?

When I saw that, I just shook my head and was reminded of all the agony in Windows that used to be part of my life on a daily basis.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @carlarogers :)

There is also QEMU which is open source and cross-platform - Mac, Windows, Linux and BSD.

I have not used it, but I believe that my friend @f33dm3bits does, and by my mentioning his userid, I have alerted him, so he may have some input.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @carlarogers :)

There is also QEMU which is open source and cross-platform - Mac, Windows, Linux and BSD.

I have not used it, but I believe that my friend @f33dm3bits does, and by my mentioning his userid, I have alerted him, so he may have some input.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I have experience with QEMU/KVM under Linux but not under Windows. The advantage of QEMU/KVM under Linux is that is used as a kernel module allowing close to native performance of the vm's. I have no idea though if it runs under MacOS, I would suspect that it does since MacOS is based off BSD. Although I would think that most average users will find QEMU/KVM more complicated than something like virtualbox, I would give it a try and see what you think so you at least give it a chance. For my home lab I have QEMU/KVM setup and I use virt-manager to operate it, it's a front-end to the command-line commands you can also use to operate QEMU/KVM with.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits

Members online

Latest posts