Sets of Wheels

Aye! The German Rambler! LOL!

Reliability counts for a lot, eh, poorguy!

Best car I ever owned.

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2016/1/19/9/0/4/90480428-bee6-11e5-996e-249061e7e818.jpg
I would LOVE to have one of those today!

Best car I ever owned.
I for one won't argue with that, they were good cars the old Beetle. They had a distinctive sound.
Though I never owned one but me bro and a friend had one.

I’ve never been able to afford anything decent,
I commiserate with you as I know what you mean. The only brand new car I had was the Corolla which we had for 16 odd years and put roughly 500 thousand kilometres ( 311000 miles ) on the clock whilst all me other 4 wheelers were 2nd hand but I also was the mechanic/autoelectrician that kept them going.
Never was able to buy the ones I would have preferred brand new, a Volvo or a Benz as Rollers and Bentleys were just that bridge to far.

@ JasKinasis
Wow! My cars have always been a lot more underwhelming and pedestrian compared to you lot! I’ve never been able to afford anything decent, so I mostly buy second hand bangers that I run into the ground.

IMO, new cars are over-rated! For one thing, they lose about 1/3 their value the moment they are driven off the lot by the new owner. This, to me is robbery!

In my case, I have owned over 50 cars, literally, and not one of them has been new. Of course, 'back in the day,' I could work on them, myself. My youngest son once joked that I "resurrected cars" for a living! Hence, the ones mentioned and pictured, so far.

Vehicles are much more complicated nowadays. The learning curve for R&R is steep and more proprietary, because corporations want it that way. And the 'deregulation' that began around 1980 has helped almost none but them -- corporations of any sort. Which translates into less freedom, less options, and paying more for less for the 'common man.' [End of rant]

When I was 18 years old, my father gave me a 3/8" ratchet set and told me, "You'll need this, boy!" Little did I know how correct he was, at the time!

Much like learning GNU/Linux, getting something Free (in both senses) requires a little work. It is so, with vehicles, too. While I wouldn't want to be young, nowadays (and I am so glad I took advantage of the freedoms of the past in this country!), one must accept what Life deals a person and carry on.

My current vehicle is a 1988 Lincoln Town Car purchased for $1500 one year ago. This past year I have put 70,000 miles on it and have put less than $700 into it, including tires and a U-joint. Since I can no longer work on vehicles, myself, I'd have to day, like poorboy, it's been the "best car I've owned." It gets 22MPG on hiway and it's for sale. LOL!88TonCar-Cartier.png

Last edited:
IMO, new cars are over-rated! For one thing, they lose about 1/3 their value the moment they are driven off the lot by the new owner.
With that I heartily agree and will add the spare parts are overvalued and have been since about the '60's. There was a time you could buy all the parts and assemble the car yourself for less than you could buy it off the show room floor. Were you to include the cost of your labour in assembling it, it came on about par with the cost on the showroom floor.
Do the same today and the cost is two to three times more than the cost on the showroom floor and that is only the spares that you can buy from the auto spares store.
I vaguely remember someone did that exercise back in mid '60's or early '70's.

Not only do cars loose their value once pulled off the lot I think the dealer gets a kick back from the manufacturer for selling the car. MSRP IMO is a joke:-

Ah! A Hiroshima Screamer but I liked them lean mean and lime green! Let you work that one out.:D
This is my first two motorcycles

View attachment 6239

and this is the bike I clocked up quite a few miles on before I bought my Trumphy

View attachment 6241
I had the GT550. The GT line did not have as powerful like the kawasakis. They were intended to be adequate power delivery. If you're looking for some crazy 2-stroke power, get an kawasaki.

With all multi-cylinder two strokes decades old, you'll require a rebuild of the shaft of crank (bearings as well as seals) Don't waste time and effort not doing it. Seals that are decades old, and in the unlikely event of being good , it's probably one that isn't a fan of the ethanol. . The average cost is $300 for labor alone. However, once you're done, you won't have to repeat it for a long time.

Wow! The price of petrol is really high there.
I hope for you that changes sooner than later-

Is this your car?

View attachment 6246
Basically - except I had the 4 door version of the 206 sport, in metallic grey!
Unfortunately, the cam-belt went on it last year. So it got scrapped. I'm currently driving a 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 (in metallic grey).
Which is a 7 seater, so it's like a tank, compared to my tiny old 206, ha ha!