Self Sustaining Volunteer Development Team Needed for New Operating System

• Thread starter Deleted member 55841
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55841

Hello!

I came up with an operating system that I want to be open source.
The only requirement to the licensing is to reference the original source,
so I don't consider that advertisement.
It belongs to everyone!

The problem is that I'm too lazy to code,
because I know that Linux users make code all the time for free!

=^_^=

Please develop this operating system!
K, thx.

GitHub:
https://github.com/sotomariochristopher/Talon-OS/tree/master

Original White Paper alone:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bMRx3PoeU5JqYKCN-ubm6NGArS53UtTI

Nice try. :D +1 for creativity. :D

Welcome to linux.org!

Cheers

This suggestion that people will simply start working on some random OS project for someone who admits he/she is too lazy to work on it themselves is rather hypocritical don't you think? Yes, many developers around the world write software for free but generally this is either the original creator who works on the software or people start to contribute to an existing project. Asking people to develop and maintain an OS based solely on roughly 5 pages of white paper work is ludicrous. Not only that but you mention donation links in the white paper!! And also, frankly, your suggestions for how this proposed OS should function do not make sense. This little gem from your GitHub repo for example makes zero sense.

I recommend that Talisman assembly language make use of the GPU as a primary source of random access memory.

I have half a mind to ban you based on the pretense that this is a scam. The only reason I am not is because I haven't been around in a while and don't feel justified bringing down the ban hammer so soon after coming back.

I thought about banning for a bit too... after I quit laughing! :D I finally thought the best course (for now) is to assume it is a joke. I really did get a good chuckle out of it!

Perhaps we could implement a "MOS" award ... "Most Original Spammer", beats the stuff on dietary supplements that could make me look like Arnold Schwarzenegger that @atanere has to clean up most days of the week?

Keep working on it, Marty of The Grove.

wizardfromoz

Ryanvade, I am referring to using ASIC code to make the GPU a more efficient RAM.
The ASIC I am referring to is the machine used as a number cruncher for cryptocurrencies.

I posted my PayPal for tips.

I am practical;
so my writing is slobbish when I don't have the concentration to edit it.

I am not trying to hire anyone;
I want people to try to design their own versions of my ideas with code,
as their own projects, for the sake of giving people something to do and maybe making something useful.

I added some more files to my GitHub,
but it's such a mess.

sotomariochristopher

A lot of explanations and thoughts I have are on my Twitter,
along with a lot of things irrelevant to my project for a new computer architecture.

@MartyoftheGrove

Thanks for not banning me.
I just want to let others work on this project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not trying to hire anyone;
I want people to try to design their own versions of my ideas with code,
as their own projects, for the sake of giving people something to do and maybe making something useful.
I believe you are naive if you seriously think this is a good business plan. People have things to do already without chasing your dreams.... unless you pay them.

If you decide to actually work toward your goals, and learn some programming, then some capable folks here may help you with questions or problems. But no one here is going to do this work for you. This forum is not really the place for that.

Good luck!

Ah! Atanere.

You are too grim.
Cheer up!

It's a project of ideas that might eventually be encoded.
I don't worry about money, because I don't have to.

I just have fun freelancing for the sake of entertainment!

@soto.mariochr :
Apologies if any of this post sounds rude, or offensive - it is not my intention to offend. I just wish to offer some (hopefully) constructive feedback and reply to some of the comments you have made:

First up, I must say that your "white-paper" and the other articles on github are a very difficult, uncomfortable and uneasy read.

And by that, I don't mean that I didn't understand some of the big words - I assure you that my vocabulary, reading abilities and comprehension are fine. I actually meant that it was difficult to read because the overall tone of the documents made me physically and mentally uncomfortable.

From the way they are written, the articles come across more like a wishlist for a new operating system written by a mentally ill person, or at the very least - someone with a very chaotic mind.

Now, I'm not accusing you of being mentally ill here - it is just the impression I got from the structure of the documents and the mental tone that the documents presented to me when I was reading them. And if you do have any mental health issues - I sincerely hope that you are getting all of the help and support you need with them.

But it seems like you have a lot of ideas. Some of them may even be good ideas. It just seems like you are having difficulty expressing them clearly, accurately and logically.

It is evident from the articles that you have some technical background with Computer Science. But your depth of knowledge is hard to gauge accurately, because as Ryan has pointed out - a lot of the material tends to turn into vague, pseudo-technical gobbledygook rather than anything that resembles a technical discussion, or an actual plausible design.

As an aside - even your reply to ryanvade contains nonsense:
Ryanvade, I am referring to using ASIC code to make the GPU a more efficient RAM.
The ASIC I am referring to is the machine used as a number cruncher for cryptocurrencies.

What? You aren't making the GPU "a more efficient RAM" at all.

For the benefit of any non-techies here - ASIC chips (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are basically an entire system on a chip that is used to run a single, specific task.

Most notably they are used in Bitcoin mining rigs to perform hashing algorithms - which they can do much faster than other methods. And yes - you can port code that is ran on ASIC chips to run on a graphics card.

But by doing this you are NOT creating a "more efficient RAM".
What you are doing is using the graphics card (or an ASIC chip) to perform calculations INSTEAD of doing them in the CPU/RAM because it is more efficient.

Graphics cards and ASIC chips are designed to crunch numbers quickly - so it makes sense to farm out computationally intensive tasks to them. That way there is more CPU time and RAM available to your main application and other programs/processes that are running.

It may seem like I'm nit-picking by pointing out your error, but by stating technically misleading/inaccurate things like that - your posts and documents lose a lot of credibility.

Going back to your documents:
There is nowhere near enough technical detail in any of them for you to be able to call them a "design" for a new operating system. And certainly not enough detail for a developer to implement anything concrete.

It's all very well having these grand, yet vague ideas, but developers will need a lot more detail.
Rather than a collection of ideas, there needs to be a technically feasible design and a strong rationale for its development!

The only thing that got any real detail was your description of the logo at the start of the whitepaper - which, for all intents and purposes is really a secondary consideration at this point in time isn't it?!

And why are you opening the whitepaper with a description of the logo anyway?
This is the part of the document where you should be introducing your project and making a strong case for it.
Wouldn't it make more sense to introduce the aims of the project and the proposed features of your OS?
How will it be better than other OSes?
What different modules/components will the OS be composed of?
How will the different components of the system interact with each other?
What technical challenges does it pose for would be developers?
etc. etc.

Starting a whitepaper with your requirements for the logo is just too abrupt and simply doesn't make sense!

It's great that you've thought about how the logo should look, but that is something that could be specified later in the document.

The problem is that I'm too lazy to code,
because I know that Linux users make code all the time for free!
OK, I get that you are too lazy to try writing the code yourself. That's fair enough. I have my own share of project ideas that I can't be arsed to code too. And more than a few that I've completely neglected and/or abandoned. But if you want others to get interested, you'll need to do a lot more work on these documents.

I am practical;
so my writing is slobbish when I don't have the concentration to edit it.
But if you are too lazy to come up with a coherent, technical set of design documents to clearly illustrate your ideas for this new operating system AND provide some compelling reasons for developing it - you aren't going to attract any developers.

As things currently stand - as a free software enthusiast and as a developer - I don't see any reason to take any of this project seriously.

I don't want you to think that I'm picking on you here. I really don't enjoy criticising other peoples work. It seems like something you are fairly serious about and have put a lot of time and thought into. And if you are that serious, I hope that you will take some of these points onboard and take the time to improve your documents.

Going forward, I think it is most important for you to put more thought into the structure of the documents and more clearly, accurately and logically express your ideas. Also you need to start to formalise the design for this OS. At the moment, it's too chaotic. It sounds more like a collection of vague ideas - a pipe-dream, rather than a formal design (or even an informal one).

Also, a huge project like this is going to need some serious direction and organisation. This ball isn't going to get itself rolling. You're going to have to put in a lot more work and be the catalyst to successfully get people interested and actively involved. After all you are the person who came up with this idea. So if you want this project to get off the ground and to succeed, you are going to have to get things started. Which may also involve getting your hands dirty and writing some of the initial code.

After all, if you aren't willing to put any time or effort into making this idea of yours a reality, what makes you think that other people will bother?

Finally, apologies if any of this has upset or offended you. It is definitely NOT my intention. I just wanted to offer you some detailed and honest feedback.

Good luck with this extremely ambitious project. I hope you eventually manage to get it off the ground.

Last edited:
Well, that beats the crap out of anything I could provide input for, nice one, Jas :)

@soto.mariochr - I was going to suggest some of the following, and this is loosely constructed, I admit, just a bit of brainstorming:

• Take a look at the Top 100, or Top 50 Distros at distrowatch.com. Now taking the Big Players out of the picture - Ubuntu, RHEL (Redhat), SLES (Suse) &c - maybe make contact with a few of them and ask how they head-hunt for programmers, how they construct a development cycle plan, and on and on. Over the years I have been with Linux, I have made the acquaintance of a few developers, CEOs &c, and found them to a large part to be quite approachable
  • Maybe take a wander through Linux From Scratch or similar product, and try putting together a fledgling Distro of your own, to see what is involved
  • Start looking at the nuts and bolts of generating a Business Plan. Microsoft Office in the early noughties used to have a Small Business Tool which provided a template for devising a Plan that you could offer to potential investors, capital providers, banks or other financial institutions.
These are only a few of the suggestions I have, I am sure you could come up with a lot more yourself?

In order to be taken seriously, you need to be able to demonstrate that you are prepared to behave in a professional manner, and that can come down to ensuring that a 10 page White Paper in PDF is not just 5 pages of text with 5 blank pages in between.

I, too, wish you good luck.

I have 8 Mental Disorders, managed for life with Cognitive Benefit Therapy and medication, but if Jas's comments were directed at me, I would recognise that he is offering constructive criticism, not destructive criticism. He and I are of a like mind in that regard :)

Good luck to you, and Cheers, All ;)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@soto.mariochr :
Apologies if any of this post sounds rude, or offensive - it is not my intention to offend. I just wish to offer some (hopefully) constructive feedback and reply to some of the comments you have made:

First up, I must say that your "white-paper" and the other articles on github are a very difficult, uncomfortable and uneasy read.

And by that, I don't mean that I didn't understand some of the big words - I assure you that my vocabulary, reading abilities and comprehension are fine. I actually meant that it was difficult to read because the overall tone of the documents made me physically and mentally uncomfortable.

From the way they are written, the articles come across more like a wishlist for a new operating system written by a mentally ill person, or at the very least - someone with a very chaotic mind.

Now, I'm not accusing you of being mentally ill here - it is just the impression I got from the structure of the documents and the mental tone that the documents presented to me when I was reading them. And if you do have any mental health issues - I sincerely hope that you are getting all of the help and support you need with them.

But it seems like you have a lot of ideas. Some of them may even be good ideas. It just seems like you are having difficulty expressing them clearly, accurately and logically.

It is evident from the articles that you have some technical background with Computer Science. But your depth of knowledge is hard to gauge accurately, because as Ryan has pointed out - a lot of the material tends to turn into vague, pseudo-technical gobbledygook rather than anything that resembles a technical discussion, or an actual plausible design.

As an aside - even your reply to ryanvade contains nonsense:

What? You aren't making the GPU "a more efficient RAM" at all.

For the benefit of any non-techies here - ASIC chips (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are basically an entire system on a chip that is used to run a single, specific task.

Most notably they are used in Bitcoin mining rigs to perform hashing algorithms - which they can do much faster than other methods. And yes - you can port code that is ran on ASIC chips to run on a graphics card.

But by doing this you are NOT creating a "more efficient RAM".
What you are doing is using the graphics card (or an ASIC chip) to perform calculations INSTEAD of doing them in the CPU/RAM because it is more efficient.

Graphics cards and ASIC chips are designed to crunch numbers quickly - so it makes sense to farm out computationally intensive tasks to them. That way there is more CPU time and RAM available to your main application and other programs/processes that are running.

It may seem like I'm nit-picking by pointing out your error, but by stating technically misleading/inaccurate things like that - your posts and documents lose a lot of credibility.

Going back to your documents:
There is nowhere near enough technical detail in any of them for you to be able to call them a "design" for a new operating system. And certainly not enough detail for a developer to implement anything concrete.

It's all very well having these grand, yet vague ideas, but developers will need a lot more detail.
Rather than a collection of ideas, there needs to be a technically feasible design and a strong rationale for its development!

The only thing that got any real detail was your description of the logo at the start of the whitepaper - which, for all intents and purposes is really a secondary consideration at this point in time isn't it?!

And why are you opening the whitepaper with a description of the logo anyway?
This is the part of the document where you should be introducing your project and making a strong case for it.
Wouldn't it make more sense to introduce the aims of the project and the proposed features of your OS?
How will it be better than other OSes?
What different modules/components will the OS be composed of?
How will the different components of the system interact with each other?
What technical challenges does it pose for would be developers?
etc. etc.

Starting a whitepaper with your requirements for the logo is just too abrupt and simply doesn't make sense!

It's great that you've thought about how the logo should look, but that is something that could be specified later in the document.

OK, I get that you are too lazy to try writing the code yourself. That's fair enough. I have my own share of project ideas that I can't be arsed to code too. And more than a few that I've completely neglected and/or abandoned. But if you want others to get interested, you'll need to do a lot more work on these documents.

But if you are too lazy to come up with a coherent, technical set of design documents to clearly illustrate your ideas for this new operating system AND provide some compelling reasons for developing it - you aren't going to attract any developers.

As things currently stand - as a free software enthusiast and as a developer - I don't see any reason to take any of this project seriously.

I don't want you to think that I'm picking on you here. I really don't enjoy criticising other peoples work. It seems like something you are fairly serious about and have put a lot of time and thought into. And if you are that serious, I hope that you will take some of these points onboard and take the time to improve your documents.

Going forward, I think it is most important for you to put more thought into the structure of the documents and more clearly, accurately and logically express your ideas. Also you need to start to formalise the design for this OS. At the moment, it's too chaotic. It sounds more like a collection of vague ideas - a pipe-dream, rather than a formal design (or even an informal one).

Also, a huge project like this is going to need some serious direction and organisation. This ball isn't going to get itself rolling. You're going to have to put in a lot more work and be the catalyst to successfully get people interested and actively involved. After all you are the person who came up with this idea. So if you want this project to get off the ground and to succeed, you are going to have to get things started. Which may also involve getting your hands dirty and writing some of the initial code.

After all, if you aren't willing to put any time or effort into making this idea of yours a reality, what makes you think that other people will bother?

Finally, apologies if any of this has upset or offended you. It is definitely NOT my intention. I just wanted to offer you some detailed and honest feedback.

Good luck with this extremely ambitious project. I hope you eventually manage to get it off the ground.
I always like to read your posts ! :)

Members online