Seek advice on using Epson V800/V850 scanner

satimis

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I'm prepared purchasing a Epson V800/V850 scanner to scan the old stock of film negatives, black&white and color, and photos

Epson doesn't support Linux

I found the driver on;
Download drivers and Software

Please advise which of following software is best suitable for my work
VueScan
XSane
SwingSane
Scarse

The scanned images are NOT for printing but for posting on websites.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Epson provides Linux drivers for those scanners. The drivers allow the scanner to interact with the Linux scanning/printing software. You may not have that software installed. The Wiki for your Linux distribution will probably have instructions for setting up the software.

The image software you use will be your preference. I would suggest you try the different programs to see whether you like them. I've never used any of those.

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.

I have been using Epson flatbed scanner for long time. My old Epson 3490 is still working on Ubuntu 20.04 PC and the scanning software is XSane. I'm prepared to purchase a new Epson flatbed scanner V800 or V850 for scanning old film negatives. V800 is already out of market, not easy to find. I have compared their specification and there is not much difference in their specifications except the software Silverfast SE 8 coming with V850.

The bundle scanning software Silverfast SE 8 only works on Windows. Although I have Windows machine, Windows 10 Home, but it is running on VM/Guest of Oracle VirtualBox, I expect to connect the scanner to my Ubuntu 20.04 PC which is a fast machine with 8-core AMD CPU, 32G RAM, 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0 SSD for running the OS and a 4TB WD hard-drive for storage.

On searching I found following Linux scanning software;
VueScan
XSane
SwingSane
Scarse

I haven't used SwingSane and Scarse before. I'm in anticipation seeking advice here which of the above-mentioned Linux software is best for Epson V800/V850 flatbed scanner for scanning old stock of film negatives

Thanks

Best Regards

Members online