Seeing GRUB2 after deleting Linux and trying to boot Windows

charinldl

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, helping a friend install Ubuntu on her Asus Vivobook X542U Windows 10 today. Things didn't go well and I ended up deleting the partition in windows.

See image (Disk 0, Partition 5). All seemed okay until we restarted the laptop and got a message:

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-9ubuntu1.7
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions.
Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions." and then the prompt

grub>

After much googling, we solved it with this:

> chainloader +1
> ls
> chainloader (hd1,gpt1)/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
> boot

However, every time she restarted her laptop we have GRUB command line again and I have no idea what to do. Please help!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-06-24 at 6.30.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-24 at 6.30.57 PM.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,248
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-06-24 at 9.01.15 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-24 at 9.01.15 PM.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,115

Hello @charinldl & welcome to linux.org :D

Regrets, you may have slipped through a crack, in not being responded to by now :oops:

I don't use Windows, only Linux, so others will be better placed there.

I don't really see that chainloader would help there, but maybe you can reference the article for us?

In the meantime, the less you do to the system, the better, so that it is easier to recover your Windows OS. The more read-write operations, the less chance of getting everything back intact.

I have to leave for my evening (Australia), sorry, but I will look in tomorrow and see how you are doing.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

There is a tiny bit on the Hard Drive called the MBR (Master Boot Record).

When the computer has only Windows it only contains Windows.

When you dual boot, Grub2 goes there to start either Windows or Linux.

When you remove Linux it still goes to Grub2.

You need to Fix the MBR (fixmbr) so Grub2 is removed and replaced by Windows only.

Look at something like ... https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows-10/

Glad to see that The Cavalry rode in :), but then you solved it yourself, which is a bonus ... nicely done :):)

If you are going to install Ubuntu (I am guessing 18.04 'Bionic Beaver') alongside Windows 10, I found this a good view. 9 minutes, 1st half you have already been through, perhaps but last half good. Also features Etcher, which a few of us have found to be a good cross-platform tool for burning Linux.

If you need any help with the Linux, we'll be around.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts