sed 's/^/You /' test.txt > new-test.txt and awk '{print "You "$0}' testfile.txt What is wrong?

None-yet

Credits
sed 's/^/You /' test.txt > new-test.txt and awk '{print "admin "$0}' testfile.txt
Thru much reading and research. I have found that with awk and sed I can prepend a word and 4 spaces (much rather tab) at the beginning of each line. However it is not consistent. I get either one or both of the examples below. And this will occur in the same file.

Ex 1
FSvV
FSVv
FSVV
fsvw
fsvw
fsvW
fsVw
fsVW

Ex 2

JOJs
JOJS
jojt
jojt
jojT

(Notice) When I typed this the words were out of line some. However when I posted this it straightened them up.

Now am I doing something wrong? Which would be more able to do this job best? One last thing, I can get it to write a new file. Is there a way to write to a new file and to console so I know here it is so I have an idea how much longer it will take?

JasKinasis

Credits
Can you clarify what you're trying to do and what the problem is?
Your post isn't very clear.

If you post any commands and/or example outputs in between code tags:
e.g.
[code]
# Your code here
[/code]
Then the formatting of what you copy/paste should be retained.

And then when you publish your post - your code will appear inside a neat box like this:
Code:
# your code here
If you don't fancy typing the tags manually - there is also the "..." button in the linux.org post-editors toolbar. This is the "insert" button.

To insert code into your post:
Click the insert button ("...") and select the "</> Code" item in the menu that pops up.
That will pop up a little dialog that has a couple of controls on it.
The first will allow you to select the type of code you are trying to post (e.g. bash, C/C++, Python etc) the second is a large text area inside which you can copy/paste your code.

When you're happy with your code - press the continue button and the linux.org editor will automagically insert your code into your post - inside code-tags.

Getting back on-topic and going back to what you previously posted:
The sed and awk commands you've posted are both valid and work.
The sed command will go through test.txt and will pre-pend "You " to the start of every single line and output to a new file called new-test.txt.

Your awk command will read each line in testfile.txt and prints "admin " before the start of every line. But that command only displays the output in the terminal. It doesn't change the file.

To write the output from the awk command to a new file, you can use file redirection:
e.g.
Bash:
awk '{print "admin "$0}' testfile.txt > testfile2.txt
OR if you want the awk command to display its output in the terminal AND write to a file, then you can pipe the output to the tee command:
Bash:
awk '{print "admin "$0}' testfile.txt | tee testfile2.txt
Regarding the other two examples at the end of your post - I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Again, please try pasting that output between some code-tags and then it should retain it's original formatting in your post.

Without code tags - linux.orgs post editor will strip out any leading/trailing whitespace, removing any indentation. And with certain programming languages, like C and C++ any array indices using i as a variable will cause the rest of the text in your post to be italicised. It can cause other side-effects in your post too.

So pro-tip - whenever posting code-snippets/scripts, or program output here on Linux.org - it's a good idea to paste them inside code-tags when you write your post.

None-yet

Credits
This morning a couple of hours ago I got it working and it was not code related. The sed was based on snippets you gave me and I was able to figure out the rest and made it work. I am gaining an understanding on how sed, awk, bash work. I am still no pro and a long while before I will be. But thanks to you guys and some books I am read, I am picking it up.

So lets consider this closed. You are correct about the proper manner to post the code. I was aware of that however I wasn't thinking. Thank you for the reminder.

Members online

Latest posts