Search Engine Preferences



KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2020
Messages
8,095
Reaction score
6,949
Credits
65,735
I mostly use Bing's personalized search. It consistently gives me better results than any of the others and I'm willing to swap my privacy for the service.
 

LorenDB

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
393
Reaction score
316
Credits
2,725
I mostly use Bing's personalized search. It consistently gives me better results than any of the others and I'm willing to swap my privacy for the service.
And you get rewards, which is why I use Bing.
 

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2020
Messages
8,095
Reaction score
6,949
Credits
65,735

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2020
Messages
8,095
Reaction score
6,949
Credits
65,735
Just interested: how many?

41k, thereabouts in the largest account. I have a couple of accounts so they're spread across them. It stems from being logged into different accounts for different reasons, across different browsers.
 

LorenDB

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
393
Reaction score
316
Credits
2,725
41k, thereabouts in the largest account. I have a couple of accounts so they're spread across them. It stems from being logged into different accounts for different reasons, across different browsers.
Hmm... Enough for a $50 Microsoft gift card. You're ahead of me!
 

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2020
Messages
8,095
Reaction score
6,949
Credits
65,735
Hmm... Enough for a $50 Microsoft gift card. You're ahead of me!

I wonder if I can transfer the points from one account to the other account? If I did that, I'd have somewhere near 65k points.

One account is so old that it's a Hotmail account. Inside that account, I have emails dating back to 2001 or 2002. The oldest account has the least points, oddly enough.
 

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
5,306
Reaction score
3,924
Credits
38,697
99% of the time I use DuckDuckGo and for the 1% when I am not satisfied with my results I use Google.
 

SpongebobFan1994

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2021
Messages
771
Reaction score
455
Credits
7,460
Aside from a glitch I once encountered while using Qwant, I've never had a problem with it. I'd also recommend using Searx and Startpage (just don't use the latter on the Tor Browser because of compatibility issues, as I found that out the hard way).

Update: Be aware that although Qwant claims to stand behind user privacy, it's still proprietary software and has used Bing since it's inception to aggregate results. Also, Startpage is now owned by advertising company and has been subject to controversy because of that.
 
Last edited:

craigevil

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Messages
408
Reaction score
403
Credits
2,816
ddg or searx.info
 

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
5,306
Reaction score
3,924
Credits
38,697
Or you can setup your own search engine.
 

Brickwizard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2021
Messages
3,478
Reaction score
2,305
Credits
25,875
tried most of the commercial ones over the years settled on Duckduckgo , i got fed up with wading through pages of crap sponsored results that had nothing to do with what I was looking for..
EG last year i was looking for a canvas repairer in my local area, duck gave me the answer within 4 entries, a friend searching the same on google got to page 8 and still nothing local,
 

Jack_2

New Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Credits
8
As for me, this is not the most reliable disk for storing data, because it is little known. I advise you to use other drives to store your data, it will be more reliable and safer. According to statistics, those disks that have more advertising have more reliable protection, I read an article about this
 

kc1di

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 14, 2021
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
1,223
Credits
10,212
Here I use DDG 90% of the time. Startpage and Google the other 10%.
 

Stellaris

Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2022
Messages
93
Reaction score
81
Credits
701
Searx
And sometimes startpage, whoogle, brave search.
Stopped using DDG after their secret agreement with microsoft
 
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Staff online

Members online


Top