sda1 missing

Resakra

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all :)
I ve attempt to resize windows 10, went no good then attemped to delete it from a dual boot system win10/ubuntu and managed to mess up with GRUB :p
Here is where I am:
Minimal BASH like line editing is supported GRUB Error In Linux
trying to fix this but see sda1 and 2,3,4 are missing but sd2 sd5 are there. So how do you think it gonna work if I mount the "root on sda5/efi on sd2" as it mentioned in fdisk listing? Should it be necessarily mounted in order sda1 , sda2 , sda3 and so forth while they are literally missing?

Good morning, Resakra (5am here)

you have not given a lot of detail.

Flesh it out a bit.

Do you want to be rid of win 10 ?

How many hard drives....Just one ?

What OS are you running ?

Specs of the pc/laptop may also help

A screenshot taken on GParted would help immensely....to show the various partitions that you have ....if they are missing from GParted .....then maybe a reinstall may be the best course ?

Do you have a backup of the data etc on those partitions ?

Do you have Timeshift up and running ?

After all those questions, I am not the best person here to help you.......but with the questions answered as well as any other pertinent info, someone here will help you.

thanks for asking Condobloke it is not 5 a.m yet but i might be stuck until then to fix the shit :D
I have back up / wanna get rid of win/ have an image of ubuntu at usb/ it is efi system and yesss here it comes the screen shot with an warning on efi file system !! :
Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.
The cause might be a missing software package.
The following list of software packages is required for fat32 file system support: dosfstools, mtools.
After all ubuntu repair, ended up to the attached Boot-info text file.
been trying this link on its foss:

itsfoss.com

Fix Minimal BASH like line editing is supported GRUB Error In Linux - It's FOSS
This is the easiest way to fix minimal BASH like line editing is supported Grub error in Ubuntu based Linux systems.
itsfoss.com
itsfoss.com
sounds to be manually mounting... I have followed this link but the efi could not be mounted indeed

And the output of fdisk is full of loops instead of sda which sounds to be normal, right?

Attachments

• scsht.jpg
    scsht.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Boot-Info_20200915_2010.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
looks messy and not sure image is from gparted but i would have thought the EFI partition mount point would be something like /boot/efi/

/mnt looks like a manual mount ?

i made a mistake on my laptop which had Windows 10 when i wiped everything including the EFI partition. My solution was simply to set up partitions and then in my case install slackware. If you have backups then you could wipe everything since it looks like Windows is gone ?

basically i set up /dev/sda1 as 100mb of EFI partition which depending on what you use if file type EF00 .

i think i used cgdisk for that , then another partition for swap and finally root Linux install partition .So you could set up partitions required for a PC with motherboard having UEFI firmware which seems to be yours ? i.e start with setting up required partitions
/dev/sda1 100 mb EF00
/dev/sda2 / type ext4

/dev/sda3 type swap

//from my understanding its not critical where swap is as log as you have it (some say modern PC's ypu don't even need it until there is a problem , then you realize yep i did need it afterall)

and then install . Install should probably acknowledge partitions ; at least it does with slackware. when i installed it said /dev/sdax is swap do you want to make that swap : yep

/dev/sdax is file type ext4 do you want to make that partition your main install : yep

Last edited:
From what I see your best option is to do a clean install and wipe the hard drive and let the installer create the partitions and just do the install.

Once you become more familar with Linux than you can always go back and reinstall everything with the different partitions you want.

Ok, thanks. Do I need any repair or just installing ubuntu from usb would be enough to make one partition?

Ok, thanks. Do I need any repair or just installing ubuntu from usb would be enough to make one partition?
I don't see anything to repair.

I suggest a clean raw new install that will wipe everything from the hard drive.

I suggest letting the installer do everything from the git go and and just follow the prompts.
Restart the computer when the install is complete and then update your new install.

As I mentioned once you become more familiar with using Linux then you can go back and re install with the partitions you want.

That looks like a 1 TB drive you have.:)

So installing like Nelson Muntz has advised you is a good plan.

You can resize your partition 'at a later time' if you would like to dual boot with another Linux os.
Maybe if you have time read up on how to use g-parted live.

G'day again, Stockholm girl :)

As suggested above, reinstall is your best option.

just installing ubuntu from usb would be enough to make one partition?

It will make at least 2 partitions, if you follow the standard install.

They will be /dev/sda1 (likely the EFI System Partition, also called ESP), and /dev/sda2, described as / which is your root partition for your operating system.

Once you have GParted installed, it will look like this

gparted-first.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - BASIC PARTITIONS AFTER INSTALL

I'll be back with more in a few minutes. Read the following and then you can install.

Cheers

Wizard

Haha! Yes Sir! mission done. 1 TB dedicated to linux :cool:

Thanks guys! Looks like the way I was trying to fix, was more complicated and it was stupid to go that way! Still happy to put a lot of effort and searched for the solution, learned a lot!

Last edited:
Wonderful news, Stockholm girl :p:cool:

First thing you want to do is to find your way to Terminal

Applications - Terminal

and there, type and enter the following:

Code:
sudo ufw enable

This will require your password, and you will be rewarded with a message that your Firewall is enabled in real time, and will be launched every time you reboot/start the machine.

You will have noticed, perhaps that the machine boots straight into Ubuntu, no Grub Menu, it is hidden.

It is handy to have so we can tell you how to view it temporarily, and if so, to lock it in permanently.

Let us know

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Edited - changed Elementary to Ubuntu

Last edited:
Trouble again! :cool: I have an old dell inspieron 1526 with 250 G/windows xp/BIOS.
Have installed ubuntu 20 via usb and sounds to be verrrry slow. it almost fails to do literally Anything! Couldn't download gparted but here is the output of fdisk command:

512m- w95- fat32- id(b)
148gig- extended- id(5)
148gig- linux- id(83)

Sorry , was not able to upload screen shot.

Hello Resakra,

What are the system specs.
Amount of memory
Processor
Graphics adapter
Brand and Model

It sounds as though Ubuntu has installed successfully however it sounds as though the computer doesn't have enough power to run it properly.

Ubuntu 20.04 is very resource demanding and therefore doesn't run well on low spec computers.

Once we see some system specs we can be able to advise what Linux distro will be more suited for that computer.

Thanks guys! Looks like the way I was trying to fix, was more complicated and it was stupid to go that way! Still happy to put a lot of effort and searched for the solution, learned a lot!
No not stupid ya just didn't know.

The first few times of installing Linux can be a PITA.

The important thing is you stayed with it and you were successful.

It becomes easier on the next installs and there will be because Linux is addicting.

Trouble again! :cool: I have an old dell inspieron 1526 with 250 G/windows xp/BIOS.
Have installed ubuntu 20 via usb and sounds to be verrrry slow. it almost fails to do literally Anything! Couldn't download gparted but here is the output of fdisk command:

512m- w95- fat32- id(b)
148gig- extended- id(5)
148gig- linux- id(83)

Sorry , was not able to upload screen shot.
Depending on the hardware inside that machine (processor, RAM, etc) you probably need to use a less resource demanding distro.
Some hardware possibilities from the Dell Inspiron 1525/1526 Owner’s Manual:

Code:
Processor type
AMD ® Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology
AMD ® Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology
AMD ® Sempron Mobile Technology
Intel ® Celeron
Intel ® Core Duo
Intel ® Core 2 Duo
Intel ® Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel ® Core 2 Duo T5450

System chipset
AMD M690T Chipset with ATI Radeon ®
X1270 Graphics
Mobile Intel Express GM 965
Data bus width 64 bits
DRAM bus width dual-channel (2) 64-bit buses
Processor address bus width 36 bits (Intel) and 32 bits (AMD)

Memory module connector two user-accessible SODIMM connectors
Memory module capacities 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB
Memory type 667 MHz SODIMM DDR2
Minimum memory 512 MB
Maximum memory 4 GB

Video type: integrated ATI graphics with 64 MB local frame buffer
Video controller
ATI Radeon ® X1270 Graphics Controller
(AMD)
or
Intel 965 GM (Intel)

Here's the system requirements for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa.

Ubuntu Desktop Edition
  • 2 GHz dual core processor
  • 4 GiB RAM (system memory)
  • 25 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
  • VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
  • Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media

Thank you for replies :) Then I am gonna install one of thoes 32 bit linux xface environment

Members online