Screen tearing when watching videos and scrolling...

I run a Nvidia but that's cause I like intel. Also just upgrading your CPU and GPU might be worth it.

• TDP: 95W
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    NOTE:
    Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
    • AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
    • AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
    • AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
    • AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
    • AMD Athlon X4
    • AMD Athlon X3
    • AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

That particular Nvidia card uses 304.137 Legacy Drivers the last update was back in 2017 the only way I know is to downgrade the kernel to 4.15 - that was the last kernel that is compatible with those drivers
Do you think Linux Lite 4.4 will work with the 304.137 Legacy Driver?

If you want the original 18.04, the links here should work:

I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04, unfortunately, it wasn't the OS I was looking for and have gotten used to. I figured out that it's Linux Lite that I'm looking for that I really liked. However, when I tried to download Linux Lite 4.4 (I have Linux Lite 5.6 currently), the earliest version I could find available, it keeps failing to load right at the end. Here's where I'm getting the download from:

Is there maybe another place to find Linux Lite 4.4? I'm hoping 4.4 will work with the old Nvidia driver I have.

Linux Lite 4.4 did ship with Kernel 4.15.0-45 - according to the Linux Lite website you are getting it from the recommended place - Other versions are available here - https://osdn.net/projects/linuxlite/storage/

What is failing at the end?
Thank you for the info!

I have no idea! Lol. Like, right as it's about to finish downloading it just says "Failed." It happened twice.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, I did the "Try Linux" option for 4.4, but screen tearing was still happening a lot when watching videos on YouTube and I didn't get very far because it kept crashing (see attached photo). Any idea what it's called when it does that?

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_191047_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210902_191047_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 198
Ok, guys, I did the "Try Linux" option for 4.4, but screen tearing was still happening a lot when watching videos on YouTube and I didn't get very far because it kept crashing (see attached photo). Any idea what it's called when it does that?
Assuming Firefox? - type about:config in the address bar, hit enter, click on Accept the Risk and Continue, in the search block type layers.acceleration.force-enabled and change it's value to true then restart Firefox. Did it work if not you can simply change it back

Assuming Firefox? - type about:config in the address bar, hit enter, click on Accept the Risk and Continue, in the search block type layers.acceleration.force-enabled and change it's value to true then restart Firefox. Did it work if not you can simply change it back
Yes, with Firefox. Every time I change layers.acceleration.force-enabled to "true" and try to restart Firefox, it does that weird freeze/crash. Is there any way get out of that frozen screen without having to reboot the whole desktop?

Reading some articles and Reddit forums about screen tearing, I suspect even kernel 4.15 may be a problem, so I'm gonna run through 4.2, 4.0, and 3.8 and see if any of those have an older kernel that will work.

Yes, with Firefox. Every time I change layers.acceleration.force-enabled to "true" and try to restart Firefox, it does that weird freeze/crash. Is there any way get out of that frozen screen without having to reboot the whole desktop?

Reading some articles and Reddit forums about screen tearing, I suspect even kernel 4.15 may be a problem, so I'm gonna run through 4.2, 4.0, and 3.8 and see if any of those have an older kernel that will work.

did you install the Nvidia drivers when you installed 4.4?

also you might want to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox altogether - layers.acceleration.disabled and set it to true and see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
did you install the Nvidia drivers when you installed 4.4?

also you might want to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox altogether - layers.acceleration.disabled and set it to true and see what happens
I haven't actually "installed" anything, just been using the preview to see how my desktop handles it.

I'll try disabling hardware acceleration, too.

Alright, guys, thank you all so much for the help. I learned a lot, but alas, it was all for naught. Unfortunately, after trying out 4.4, 4.2, and 4.0 that have the 4.15 kernel and even trying out 3.8 which had the 4.04 (if I remember right) kernel, it still had the screen-tearing. Every time I set "layers.acceleration.disabled" to "true" and tried to restart Firefox, the entire OS would crash like the picture I showed above in the thread.

I think it's about time I just look into a new desktop... that has something other than an Nvidia graphics card.

Things I've learned about computers over the last few years: Stay away from HP, Windows, and Nvidia at all costs, lol.

I think your NVIDIA card died those 430 models were known to fail

Members online