Screen tearing when watching videos and scrolling...

Can you do the following.
1. Open a terminal
2. Run: sudo apt install inxi
3. Then run: inxi -G
Then share the output of the last step.

So I might just get a new desktop. It's time, lol. After researching this problem elsewhere online, I know to avoid any desktop with Nvidia graphics cards.

With that being said, what brand of graphics cards should I look for in a desktop? I heard AMD works really well with Linux OS.
Yes, AMD Radeon graphics cards work great with Linux.

I've been using a AMD Radeon 7750 for a long time and all 3 of my Linux distro's run great and the graphics are good.

Are you looking for a desktop that is already made or would you like to build one yourself?

Yes, AMD Radeon graphics cards work great with Linux.

I've been using a AMD Radeon 7750 for a long time and all 3 of my Linux distro's run great and the graphics are good.

Are you looking for a desktop that is already made or would you like to build one yourself?
I watched that Linus Tech Tip video of one of his employees building her own desktop and that made me realize that building my own is not an option for me, lol. So, yeah, one already made would be ideal. The one I have now was $500 when I bought it in 2011, so something around that price would be great. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that can handle 1080p videos and regular usage; I'm not a gamer.

I looked the driver on nvidia.com for a "6150SE nForce 430" in list of Operating systems Linux isn't even mentioned so it seems they didn't even have a Linux driver for those cards back then. So you're only option is to use the Nouveau drivers. Old Nvidia cards are a problem on Linux so even more for a card from around 2004. Do you know if you are using Wayland or Xorg?
I think Xorg, but I'm not entirely sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-12_16-11-34.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-12_16-11-34.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 198
Can you do the following.
1. Open a terminal
2. Run: sudo apt install inxi
3. Then run: inxi -G
Then share the output of the last step.
Lol, when I tried running inxi -G, it crash/froze. Whoops! But it said it was already installed.

That particular Nvidia card uses 304.137 Legacy Drivers the last update was back in 2017 the only way I know is to downgrade the kernel to 4.15 - that was the last kernel that is compatible with those drivers

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that can handle 1080p videos and regular usage; I'm not a gamer.

Cheap refurb on Amazon/Newegg. For that, you should be able to get 16 to 32 GB, at least decent on-board graphics, an i5 with at least dual-core/4 threads, a solid SSD, and adequate performance that includes 1080 playback.

If you're not replacing a monitor/keyboard/mouse at the same time, you can do well enough with that budget.

Cheap refurb on Amazon/Newegg. For that, you should be able to get 16 to 32 GB, at least decent on-board graphics, an i5 with at least dual-core/4 threads, a solid SSD, and adequate performance that includes 1080 playback.

If you're not replacing a monitor/keyboard/mouse at the same time, you can do well enough with that budget.
Ok, cool! I'll check out Newegg! I've shopped there before. Thanks!

That particular Nvidia card uses 304.137 Legacy Drivers the last update was back in 2017 the only way I know is to downgrade the kernel to 4.15 - that was the last kernel that is compatible with those drivers
Thanks for the info! I'll look into doing that!

Question, though: Is the 4.15 kernel on the 20.04.2 version? I currently have 20.04.3 with the 5.4 kernel installed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-12_17-26-22.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-12_17-26-22.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Ok, cool! I'll check out Newegg! I've shopped there before. Thanks!

Let us know what you end up getting. We're geeks. We're always interested in new computer day.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into doing that!

Question, though: Is the 4.15 kernel on the 20.04.2 version? I currently have 20.04.3 with the 5.4 kernel installed.
Unfortunately no it is only available for 18.04 which will get updates until Apr 2023

Ok, thanks! I'll look for a 18.04 download.
But one thing to remember is you have to downgrade the kernel because I believe 18.04 come with kernel 5.4 and when it comes to upgrading you will have to put a hold on kernel updates
one you have the 4.15 kernel installed
Code:
uname -r
to find your Kernel Version to put on hold should give out something like
4.15.0-27-generic (example)
Then run command:
Code:
sudo apt-mark hold 4.15.0-27-generic
just use the correct version of the 4.15 kernel

But one thing to remember is you have to downgrade the kernel because I believe 18.04 come with kernel 5.4 and when it comes to upgrading you will have to put a hold on kernel updates
one you have the 4.15 kernel installed
Code:
uname -r
to find your Kernel Version to put on hold should give out something like
4.15.0-27-generic (example)
Then run command:
Code:
sudo apt-mark hold 4.15.0-27-generic
just use the correct version of the 4.15 kernel
Ok, thanks for the tip!!! I'll let you all know how it turns out.

One more question: Do all versions of 18.04 (ex: 18.04.2, 18.04.4, 18.04.6) come with the kernel 4.15 or just the first 18.04? I can only find 18.04.6.

If I need the very first 18.04, anyone know where I can download it?

Thank you so much!
Also remember to install it off-line so it won't grab updates once installed check the kernel version should be 4.15 if you install the 18.04 or 18.04.1 version - after install put a hold on the kernel upgrades first - then connect

Also remember to install it off-line so it won't grab updates once installed check the kernel version should be 4.15 if you install the 18.04 or 18.04.1 version - after install put a hold on the kernel upgrades first - then connect
Yes, definitely will do that! Thanks for the tip!

Staff online

Members online