Screen goes blank

zealbert

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
My screen suddenly goes completely blank; it's either a shade of pink or purple, sometimes there are a bunch of multicolored horizontal lines which appear for a few seconds. Then it will go black. The computer is still running, and I have to shut it down manually by holding the power button. If I try to reboot right away, I just get a black screen. If I wait a couple of hours, it boots up normally. I looked at the bios, and the temperatures, fans seem to be fine.
I am running Mint 20 Ulyana, 64 bit, my graphic is Mesa DRI intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a Laptop or Desktop machine? It sounds like you may have a hardware issue - The simple trick to check if there is a hardware problem or any software issue is to connect your PC monitor with another system. If it is a laptop try plugging an external monitor in and see if it still happens. If it still continues to show the Pink shade, then it is a monitor damage i.e. hardware related cause. However, if upon connecting the external hardware the pinkish hue disappears, it can be safely assumed that the problem is related to the software. Like maybe something in the kernel is affecting it. It is going to be trial an error method to determine the exact cause.

It's a desktop. The monitor is fine, I checked with another unit. I ended up thoroughly cleaning my RAM and the sockets, and it seems to have worked - don't know if it will happen again, but so far the past two days, no problems. Thank you!

Members online

Latest posts