Screen at start is dark but shows words like ACTIVITIES. SHAMIM & TRASH

omegaindia

Reaction score
Credits
Upon downloading updates, the screen turned dark purple and the icons disappeared. The words ACTIVITIES, SHAMIM(my name) and TRASH is visible.
When placing the mouse on the approximate location, the words FILES, T. MAIL, HELP etc. does appear. The left column is also dark. Cannot maneuver anywhere on the first screen.
Going in to the files in the DOWNLOAD folder is not possible.

Hmmmm... it may be useful to know exactly which operating system you are using.
Perhaps some information regarding your hardware would also be enlightening.
I know this isn't useful in your current situation - but - it is always advisable to carefully examine any updates before installing them.

I had installed Linux (the latest version) UBUNTU via a USB drive a month ago. I have an HP Pavilion 360 where win10 was installed but it crashed and we had a wipe the HD clean before installing Linux.

G'day omegaindia, Welcome to linux.org

Do you have Timeshift set up ?....or do you have backups of any kind ?

Sadly no to both questions Condobloke.
Too new I am afraid.
Seems like the info is there hiding behind this opaque black screen.

Attachments

• 20201001_225856.jpg
    20201001_225856.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
Do you know if the downloads included a Kernel update?....you would have needed to tick the kernel update to include it in your updates.

Do you have very much data/pics/music that is irreplaceable?

Did you do anything to force the downloading of the updates ?

You could try pressing ctrl+alt+f4, then you would get a login prompt. Then login with your credentials, then try:
Code:
sudo apt-get reinstall gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock
Btw your laptop screen could use a cleaning ;)

You could try pressing ctrl+alt+f4, then you would get a login prompt. Then login with your credentials, then try:
Code:
sudo apt-get reinstall gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock
Btw your laptop screen could use a cleaning ;)
Great first steps f33dm3bits!
I did follow your advice and now these are the 2 screen snapshots which may help you what needs to be done next. How do I get to the Linux screen to see if everything is back to normal?

Attachments

• 20201002_154700_HDR.jpg
    20201002_154700_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 248
  • 20201002_160236_HDR.jpg
    20201002_160236_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 254
Do you know if the downloads included a Kernel update?....you would have needed to tick the kernel update to include it in your updates.

Do you have very much data/pics/music that is irreplaceable?

Did you do anything to force the downloading of the updates ?
Nothing traumatic but still valuable files condobloke.
Am unsure HOW to tick the kernel update, or what the purpose of that action. Too new!!! Sorry.

Great first steps f33dm3bits!
I did follow your advice and now these are the 2 screen snapshots which may help you what needs to be done next. How do I get to the Linux screen to see if everything is back to normal?
You need to logout of your graphical interface, so probably easiest way to do that for now is to reboot your system. You can do that from the commandline where you are now:
Code:
sudo reboot

You need to logout of your graphical interface, so probably easiest way to do that for now is to reboot your system. You can do that from the commandline where you are now:
Code:
sudo reboot
Followed directive. Attached are 3 pics. Notice please that the mid screen in purple and different from the usual black.

Attachments

• 20201003_132900_HDR.jpg
    20201003_132900_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 257
  • 20201003_133046.jpg
    20201003_133046.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 239
  • 20201003_133204_HDR.jpg
    20201003_133204_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 248
Followed directive. Attached are 3 pics. Notice please that the mid screen in purple and different from the usual black.
I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed on a virtual machine and the purple beginning login screen is default. Only thing I can think of is that you reinstall gnome desktop since there is really know way to know which part is broken why your desktop is not showing up. I tested this out on a virtual machine, and it worked.

Go back to your terminal and then run:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop gnome-desktop3-data
Reboot your system, then when it finishes booting, press ctrl+alt+f4, login with your user, then run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gnome-desktop3-data
Then login again and see if your problem is fixed. If that doesn't fix your problem I would just copy all your important data to an external drive and reinstall your machine.

I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed on a virtual machine and the purple beginning login screen is default. Only thing I can think of is that you reinstall gnome desktop since there is really know way to know which part is broken why your desktop is not showing up. I tested this out on a virtual machine, and it worked.

Go back to your terminal and then run:
Code:
Reboot your system, then when it finishes booting, press ctrl+alt+f4, login with your user, then run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gnome-desktop3-data
Then login again and see if your problem is fixed. If that doesn't fix your problem I would just copy all your important data to an external drive and reinstall your machine.
Tried the instructions. sorry. Back to square one.
ONE LAST REQUEST as you have been very generous with your time. I sincerely appreciate it.
1. Please let me know the Code to transfer my files in the downloads folder to a flash drive;
2. Code to wipe the hard disk and reinstall Linux (the most user friendly version).
Be well. Thanks a bunch.

Tried the instructions. sorry. Back to square one.
ONE LAST REQUEST as you have been very generous with your time. I sincerely appreciate it.
1. Please let me know the Code to transfer my files in the downloads folder to a flash drive;
2. Code to wipe the hard disk and reinstall Linux (the most user friendly version).
Be well. Thanks a bunch.
Just one question do you care what your Desktop Environment looks like? The easier option would be to install a different Desktop Environment and do it from there, but if you don't care what your Desktop Environment looks like you might as well use a different instead of having to reinstall your whole system. First try this, get to a terminal as you already done a few times and then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
When it asks which display manager you would like to use press the down arrow so that you select "lightdm" and press enter. When the installation is done reboot your system with sudo reboot. At the login prompt click on your username, then at the bottom right of the screen there will be an icon, click on it and select "Xubuntu Session" . After this is selected, enter your password and login. When logged in open a terminal and remove the gnome desktop:
Code:
First see what you think of this Desktop Environment, if you like it then you can just continue to use this one and if you don't like it you can easily copy over your files to an external drive and install software to create a bootable flash drive with the ubuntu installation iso.

f33dm3bits
I tried and tried and then some more. No luck.
If you would be so kind to instruct me on 2 things please:
1. What code line to use so I can copy my downloads folder to an external flash drive;
2. What code to erase the whole UBUNTU software from my laptop.
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I will go and buy a win10 copy

You can use stick in a usb disk:
1. Check where it's mounted: df -h
2. Move around to the location where your files are: cd /path/you/want/to/go/to
3. Copy files recurively to your usb disk:
- copy one directory to usb drive: cp -rf mydocuments /path/to/where/usb/disk/is/mounted
- copy all files within your current directory to usb drive: cp -rf * /path/to/where/usb/disk/is/mounted

If you are going to reinstall Windows make sure your usb disk has a filesystem on it that can be read by Windows, so probably best to use ntfs or vfat depending on how big your files are. Instead of installing Windows you could try Ubuntu again but with a different Desktop Environment: Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu Cinnamon. There are other flavors with a different Desktop Environments but these will probably be the easiest for you.