SAN Server Help

Grounded_Salt

Reaction score
Credits
First let me apologize for not knowing my rear-end from a hole in the ground where Linux is concerned. Here is my question.
Back story:
I was given a NEC D3-10i SAN Server it has 36 300GB 15K RPM drives and I have the management software for it.

Question: The software says It needs Redhat Enterprise or a SUSE version (there are also windows server versions it can use) Are there specific items in these versions that are not available in standard versions of the OS? I currently live alone and make $10/hr. So the $349 for Redhat is a bit much for my bank account to handle. What are my options (other than Craigslist)?

Thank you for your comments
Scott

CentOS is basically a fork/clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. And it's free (as in zero monetary cost). So that might be one option to try.

Hi Scott, and welcome. As @JasKinasis says, CentOS should work with whatever instructions you have for Red Hat.

But "instructions" are a little questionable. What have you got? What does your management software actually tell you about running the system with Linux?

I found the NEC D3-10i Quick Start Guide here (PDF, 65 pages!) but it makes no mention at all of Linux when searching the document. There is a link in the Quick Start Guide for the latest information about the product, and I followed that, but again... no info about Linux (that I found). Following another NEC link, it seems that the D3 series has reached End Of Life (EOL) and was last shipped in 2012.

So, it seems up in the air to me without more information about it. You may have to use it in a Windows environment (or maybe, with luck, it would run in Linux under Wine).

Cheers

Hi,

When I ask for the SAN Server I knew about the end of life. I looked for the management software to no avail. With my hat in my hand I sent an email to NEC tech support fully expecting then to send back a nicely worded email basically saying 'Go pound sand' however to my utter amazement they sent me a link to their FTP server having added the zip file for my download.
The software mentioned Redhat Enterprise edition 7.1. I have a lot of learning to do regarding linux and the SAN server I have acquired. The windows server that is needed is 2012 or better.

Wow, I'm utterly amazed too, but lucky you! :D RedHat 8.0 just recently came out, so any info you have for 7.1 should still be very pertinent to help you configure and use your device with CentOS.

Cheers

Members online