Samsung SSD T7 - unable to access

Perdav

Reaction score
Credits
Before I get into the issue,full disclosure: I'm not computer savvy. I'm writing this on the same day I switched over to Linux. My reason for the switch was that I had Windows 8.1, and it was constantly at 100% disk usage, even when nothing was running. Every program to several minutes to load, and every action to several minutes to complete.When I say several minutes, I don't mean 2 or 3 minutes. I mean at least 5 minutes at minimum, to up to 20 minutes or more. My PC was basically unusable. So, I took the plunge and switched over.

Although I've only had Linux mint for a few hours now, everything works at a reasonable speed. Up to this point, everything from creating a bootable USB to actually installing it was very easy. I decided on a full install. I no longer want anything to do with Windows, as it has caused me nothing but stress. Now, on to the issue I'm having.

I have Linux mint (current version as of 11/7/21) installed on a desktop. It's an HP all-in-one desktop, model 23-q014. I don't know if that matters. I have an external hard drive, which is a Samsung T7 SSD. I plugged it in, and see no option to access the files. I'm used to Windows, which automatically creates a desktop icon for the portable Samsung SSD that I click and then I can access it. I don't know what I'm supposed to do on Linux. I've searched online, but haven't found anything useful. Most of the advice is from many years ago (at least 6 or more). Any help is appreciated. Please remember, I'm a noob who's not computer savvy, so please keep explanations as simple as possible.

I'm used to Windows, which automatically creates a desktop icon for the portable Samsung SSD that I click and then I can access it
That's usually how it works in Linux too. Do you have the drive encrypted or password protected? I see that Linux is missing from the supported OS list below on Samsung's websites for the T7 and T7 Touch....
The Samsung Portable SSD Software for password protection is working with below OSs:
T7 works with
Windows OS : Windows 7 and higher
Mac OS : Mac OS X 10.10 and higher
Android OS : Android 5.1 (Lollipop) and higher

If the drive is not encrypted or password protected, we'll probably have you use a few terminal commands to see if Linux detects the drive at all.

That's usually how it works in Linux too. Do you have the drive encrypted or password protected? I see that Linux is missing from the supported OS list below on Samsung's websites for the T7 and T7 Touch....

If the drive is not encrypted or password protected, we'll probably have you use a few terminal commands to see if Linux detects the drive at all.

It’s password protected. Does this mean it’s inaccessible with Linux, or is there still a way?

It’s password protected. Does this mean it’s inaccessible with Linux, or is there still a way?
Yes, it will be inaccessible until you remove the password protection. In general, Windows software will not run on Linux, and that is the problem. The drive itself should be usable by Linux. The easiest way might be to take the drive to a friend or family who are running a Windows or Mac computer.

The Samsung FAQ offers these:
How do I disable the Password Protection feature?

You can disable the Password Protection feature on the Settings screen of the Samsung Portable SSD software as follows:

Click the “Set” button on the Main screen, switch the “Lock” button from ON to OFF, enter a password, and save it.

For more information, please refer to the User Manual for the product.

And:
Can I uninstall the Samsung Portable SSD Software?

Yes, it can be uninstalled as follows:

On a Windows PC, open the PSSD_Cleanup.bat file from the directory where the software is installed (e.g., OS Installation Drive\ProgramData\Samsung Apps\Portable SSD) and proceed with uninstallation, or go to Control Panel → Programs and Features → Samsung Portable SSD Software to uninstall.

On a Mac PC, remove the Portable SSD from the Thunderbolt port and use the CleanupAll.scpt from the directory where the software is installed (e.g., Home/Library/Application Support/PortableSSD) with osascript to uninstall it (osascript CleanupAll.scpt).

For more information, please refer to the User Manual.

Last edited:
I never Encrypt any Drive...HDD or SSD because it causes too many problems.
mad0086.gif
A good idea is to create a Folder and Encrypt it, if you must.
winking0011.gif

When you plug in any Drive...Flash Drive...Portable HDD/SSD...External HDD that comes formatted to NTFS they will automatically mount because Linux sees all.
happy0006.gif

Members online